Rickenbacker B16D Cabinet info

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mico888

Rickenbacker B16D Cabinet info

Post by mico888 »

Hello All,
I have an old B16D cab I bought locally with white tolex with black grille cloth. It's loaded with 4 Jensen C10Q. I've had trouble finding the matching head and have found they are extremely rare! My question is if you were in my position, what head would you use with this cab? fender? Whats the wattage? Also any information on this cab would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
4a.png
3a.png
2a.png
1a.png
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rickenbacker B16D Cabinet info

Post by scott_s »

I'm curious what that cutout in the baffle is for... looks too crude to be original but I'd welcome correction.

Looks like the Jensen C10Q was a ~15 watt speaker back in the day, and I suspect the B16 was meant to compete with Fender's 4x10 Bassman/Concert amps. The closed back on the cabinet might nudge it a little in the Marshall direction, which would be cool!

I can't really follow everything that's going on in the Rickenbacker B16D schematic, but if you are into building amps, a cathode-biased 2x6L6 amp with the tone circuit of your choice would be pretty hip. Tremolo, too, if you're into it. 8)
domspii

Post by domspii »

scott_s wrote:I'm curious what that cutout in the baffle is for... looks too crude to be original but I'd welcome correction.

Looks like the Jensen C10Q was a ~15 watt speaker back in the day, and I suspect the B16 was meant to compete with Fender's 4x10 Bassman/Concert amps. The closed back on the cabinet might nudge it a little in the Marshall direction, which would be cool!

I can't really follow everything that's going on in the Rickenbacker B16D schematic, but if you are into building amps, a cathode-biased 2x6L6 amp with the tone circuit of your choice would be pretty hip. Tremolo, too, if you're into it. 8)

Some years ago I posted about the cab with pictures on the Rickenbacker website forum and John Hall confirmed it was a B16D Cabinet.

I don't know much about building amps that's why I was asking about a head that would complement the cab. Thanks for the information you provided!

Can anyone else add to the conversation?
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Here's a link to the schematic on the RIC page, if you're interested: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19338.pdf (The voltages on the schematic seem high to me, perhaps due to modern wall voltages?)

Happy hunting! 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”