Eminence speakercone construction

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Eminence speakercone construction

Post by 4000 »

Surprised by the 'rip' in this cone. Most likely an Eminence 12", as found in a (1980?) Rickenbacker TR25 guitar combo.

Initially thought it was damaged, but more likely seems to be intentional/by-construction, since the paper is overlapping ('rips' are offset front vs back).

First time I see it like this. Always thought speaker-cones were pressed, not folded & glued into a funnel.

FWIW...
DSC_183X_edit-combined_r.jpg
(Yep, dustcap bottom left, dust top left ;-) )
espidog

Re: Eminence speakercone construction

Post by espidog »

I've never seen a loudspeaker cone constructed in that way before, either - and I've had speakers of all vintages, dating back to the 1930s. As you say, though: it certainly doesn't look like a repair. Bizarre!
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100

Post by 4000 »

Hi,

It's all trivia & fwiw, but I've definitely never seen it like this before.

It seems to be the stock TR25 12"speaker (with codes I've seen mentioned for the TR25 here before: SP122016G) so likely it must have crossed the eye of various other TR25 owners as well.

At least assuming they unmounted the speaker to give it and the cab a proper cleaning. Alternatively, pulling off the velcro-attached speakergrill would already show it.

If it's not common though, then possibly it's a reconed Eminence, and everything is possible.

Just for the sake of trivia I'll show it to a friend as well, who has seen at least as many instrument speaker cones as I have.

While instrument speakers will be more forgiving than those for hi-fi, much thought seems to go into design of the former, to say the least (I recall an article in... SoundOnsound?, from a Celestion-designer).
Can well imagine that overlap-section has a drastic impact on the vibration pattern of this speaker. Who knows it's both cheaper & beneficial ....

Bye!

BTW, from your signature:
Epiphone Jack Casady --> yummie
Ovation Magnum 1 --> on wishlist ;-)
Peavey TB-Raxx --> nice to see this one being mentioned
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

I have a couple of vintage Jensens with seamed cones, and Weber makes a few vintage-style models with them for extra authenticity.

Look closely: https://tedweber.com/12a125/

So it is a thing. ;)

Post by 4000 »

Nice, indeed same kind!

Thanks for posting, and nice to learn the 'official' description for it (seamed).
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Historically, many drivers, especially those for mid-grade "hi-fi" (or not) home audio gear (before stereo), had the paper cones that had the biased seam that only had to handle about 5 to 20 watts. It's not that rare, it's just not how anything is made anymore.

Post by 4000 »

Thanks for the reply, interesting to hear. Hadn't seen like this before, but sure makes sense.
Trying to recall which combination of 'brands' and 'old speakers' I may have seen the most, possibly mostly Celestions, no idea if they have been using it.

OK nice, 'riddle' solved, thanks all! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”