another 360-12 neck angle topic

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

apossibleworld

another 360-12 neck angle topic

Post by apossibleworld »

Hi all -- been ages since I posted here! I'm having a Rick resurgence, and just bought a 1965 360-12. It was described as having an "excellent neck set" and while the guitar does play with reasonably low action, I'm concerned about what this neck angle looks like. My other Ricks all have flat or even rising necks, but this has that classic quality of folding up on itself. The finish has cracked around the heel, and it is pulled out visibly, especially at the low E area. The height of the strings above the body is higher at the neck pickup than at the bridge pickup.

I know these are common issues for these guitars, but can any of you tell me whether this is too far gone, or alright as is? I got a good deal on it, but it becomes not such a good deal if the neck has to be reset. It plays alright... not fun to play, but not too difficult, and the sound is exceptionally good. But maybe these all are? I'd probably refret it if I wanted to use it a lot.

Should I return the guitar? If I do return it, what's the chance of finding a 1965 (I don't want later ones) with a terrific neck angle and such a good sound?

http://s705.photobucket.com/user/ontran ... k%20360-12

thank you!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: another 360-12 neck angle topic

Post by jdogric12 »

If it's playable, adjustable, and seems stable you should be ok, but unless it was a really great deal I'd return it.
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

jdogric12 wrote:If it's playable, adjustable, and seems stable you should be ok, but unless it was a really great deal I'd return it.
Well it was $3000, which is a good bit less than others available online, but not like a steal or anything. It's playable but I don't want to put money into a refret and then have to reset the neck later. But it really sounds terrific.
collin

Post by collin »

If you're dead set on having a pre-66 12-string (three-piece top etc.), then I'd say keep it.

The VAST majority of these 64-66 guitars have shallow neck angles, so unless you spend $6K or more for a mint example, you're unlikely to find a perfect neck angle on a $3500 guitar.

Just switch to ultra light gauge strings (8-38) and don't leave it in any humid environment. You should be fine. There is still some room under the bridge, and you can always use a thinner bridge plate and remove half of the pickup grommets to lower the action.
collin

Post by collin »

apossibleworld wrote:the sound is exceptionally good. But maybe these all are?

Most of these guitars do sound great. The great irony is the thin top on these guitars both help the guitar resonate and sound excellent....and is a major cause of the neck shifting and pulling forward.

The early guitars are pretty fragile, the top and backside are pretty thin and to complicate things, the neck pocket is often crude and allows for movement of the neck if the glue is loosened due to humidity etc.
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

collin wrote: Just switch to ultra light gauge strings (8-38) and don't leave it in any humid environment.....
I guess that leaves me out in humid old Maryland! (Thank God for air conditioning and humidifiers)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

John - if you want, I have a spare "thin" baseplate lying around. And remember I'm just down 295 from you in DC... well Alexandria actually. You're welcome to come down and get it, hang out, see the studio, have a mini-confluence.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”