4001 refret before and after

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

tomaxl22

4001 refret before and after

Post by tomaxl22 »

Hi, :D

I have heard and read a lot about the complexity in refretting a 70ties 4001, does anybody have an experience from that and can share?
The goal would be be to get it as identical as possible to the original, intact binding, fingerboard, laquer etc..
(Obviously a luthier will do the job )

Would also be great if you could share some before and after photos to be able to exactly compare.

Please advise,
thanks
Thomas
radapaw

Re: 4001 refret before and after

Post by radapaw »

I'm under the impression that if you want to do it as 'correct' as possible then you're looking at a full refin as the frets go in before finish. I think most folks settle for some witness lines at the board/binding, which could be nearly invisible. I also would guess that the majority of refrets loose the fret end nibs.
tomaxl22

Post by tomaxl22 »

radapaw wrote:I'm under the impression that if you want to do it as 'correct' as possible then you're looking at a full refin as the frets go in before finish. I think most folks settle for some witness lines at the board/binding, which could be nearly invisible. I also would guess that the majority of refrets loose the fret end nibs.

ok thanks, guess that the best option is what you are referring to, can you please explain a little more what "witness lines at the board.." is (..as my native language is swedish )?

cheers
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That means you will see the difference between the old and new finishes where the two meet.
tomaxl22

Post by tomaxl22 »

jps wrote:That means you will see the difference between the old and new finishes where the two meet.
aha ok thanks for clarifying
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Could one just remove the clear coat from the board, do the refret and leave the board unfinished like most basses?
Would there be a functional reason to reapply varnish to the rosewood board?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

One of my twelves had the board stripped when it was re-fretted and an oil finish applied. I can't tell any real playing or sound differences, but in my opinion, the oil finished board tends to be neater and cleaner looking than the original varnished board was.
Attachments
step 016 copy.jpg
board.jpg
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Looks real nice!!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”