4003 vibration problem

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

4003 vibration problem

Post by lumgimfong »

The A string causes a vibration on the bridge which can be heard thru speakers until I touch the the string behind the saddle, then it stops.
Maybe shallow break angle as my action is pretty low? But I don't wanna raise action.
Saddle seems solid when I wiggle it.
Neck is straight.
Happens on any string set.

Any ideas? Other than shoving foam back there?
In the meantime waiting for Hipshot to get their brass/chrome bridge back in production...
espidog

Re: 4003 vibration problem

Post by espidog »

Did this just start out of nowhere, or has anything on your bass changed recently? Are they a new set of strings, for instance? If so, it may be a manufacturing fault in the A.

OTOH the fix may be as simple as removing the string, shaking it about a bit and putting it back on. Worth a try!
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Stared out of nowhere.
Happens on two sets of strings.
I will try it!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:Stared out of nowhere.
Perhaps, staring towards something specific will help? :wink:
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Haha!!! :shock: :shock:
If hipshot would just get their brass/chrome bridge back in production this would be a non issue, and I could also palm mute, to boot.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Interesting you should say that. I had the brass/chrome Hipshot on my 4003 for quite a while. In the end I went back to the stock RIC bridge because the saddle pieces on the Hipshot were too loose and rattly for my liking.

Have you considered the new V2 RIC bridge? From everything I've seen, it seems an excellent design. Mind you, I'm not into palm-muting!
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Yes, I have considered the new V2 bridge. Looks like a very nice bridge.

In spite of the saddle upgrade, to me, $295 for virtually the same tailpiece with the same practically unusable (to me) mute that still inhibits muting by palm or finger (which I do), and having to put 4 new holes in my bass to install basically the same tailpiece is a dealbreaker for me.

I love to play my Ric the most, but when a song calls for muting I have to use another bass. With the current mechanism, I cannot instant on/off mute during a song on the Ric, and cannot finger/palm mute with the current bridge without a lot of difficulty.
So I am hoping the Hipshot will work out so I can use my Ric even on songs that call for muting.
Hopefully the vibration issue will go away, too.
Oddly it hasn't been happening as much in the last week.
Maybe it is a weather thing and some subtle changes made it come and go.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

So, it happens even with the new Hipshot bridge. So it must not be the bridges.

Then, with my first try of round core strings, it stopped.
All the other times it happened on hex core strings.
Bizarre. So for some reason hexcores vibrate like that on the bass, round cores do not.
Don F

Post by Don F »

I know this is an older post, but I've got the same problem with my 4003. I hear it through the body without it being plugged in. Then, individually, it comes through my mixer, or my Boss GX-100, or Bassman amp. I've tried changing eq, different amp, and various compression settings. I've swapped out strings from hex core to round core.

I don't really understand what to do. There's a little relief in the neck (about .010-.011) and there's no string buzz on any frets, nor is there any back string buzz. I've checked for any possible vibration points from the rods, the bridge, the pickups, the pup covers, the electronics...and there's nothing there. It's definitely from the strings. WIth the vibration coming through the pickups.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'd appreciate suggestions.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

DrR Fatbeams were the round cores I used when it went away.

I’ve had many string sets and many hexcores on and many setups/truss rod adjustments since and the problem has not returned. Like, backed off the rods to neutral then started fresh, tightening the truss rods for setups. So I think that something about my set up must have been doing it. Also, I use strings in the 130-160lbs. Tension range now, unlike before, when I used higher tension strings. I also installed a Zero Glide ZS-18 zerofret/nut.
Now I have settled on Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds for my 4003.

I can’t really say what fixed it. But glad it stopped.

Also, try tightening every screw, nut, and bolt in the bass.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

lumgimfong wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 pm The A string causes a vibration on the bridge which can be heard thru speakers until I touch the the string behind the saddle, then it stops...

...Any ideas? Other than shoving foam back there?
In the meantime waiting for Hipshot to get their brass/chrome bridge back in production...
I had a new bass, different brand, with similar symptoms that showed up after a few weeks of ownership. The factory asked for me to send the bass back so they could check it out. They determined that one of the bridge saddles had the slightest burr - it was invisible to me anyway. Saddle was replaced, and all ended well.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”