Tune-o-matic bridge on a Rickenbacker

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Tune-o-matic bridge on a Rickenbacker

Post by sloop_john_b »

Last week I got a 330 back that I had sent out for a refinish a very long time ago, from a distant planet known as the Pacific Northwest (that's another story. Photos at 11).

Over the past few months, my main squeeze has become a honey of a Les Paul - a '58 reissue burst. I loved the playability so much that I had the 330 done up with matching fretwire and nothing but a matte finish on the fretboard - no gloss or tiny frets to slow me down while shredding (ha). I also came to the conclusion that I loved Gibson's ABR-1 tune-o-matic bridge. I noticed that in general, I liked guitars more that had this style bridge. Something about the acoustic tone and playability really struck a chord (ha) with me.

So, I had our boy Collin modify a Rick baseplate for me so that it could take a TOM bridge without modification to the guitar. I ordered the ABR-1, and put the guitar through it's paces for a few days with the stock Rick bridge on while I waited for the new one to arrive. I spend most of my time teaching guitar, so I am given ample opportunity to really get familiar with a guitar, while playing and teaching ALL types of music.

I have the guitar strung up with 11's (10 high e) and have an Accent vibrato installed. My first impressions were that I found the guitar to be a little stiffer than I was used to with my Les Paul (my main squeeze), which I found puzzling - I used the same exact string gauge and brand, and the guitars have the same scale length and similar radii. Hmm.

Usually the small Rick frets might be the culprit there, but remember I had this guitar refretted with a slightly larger gauge wire and a matte finish on the fretboard, no typical Rick high gloss.

The guitar also wasn't holding it's tune very well - decently, but not great. In the past I have found this to simply be one of the "quirks" of Ricks.

Today I finally got the TOM installed and notched up the saddles. I've been pounding out power chords, bending, and delivering serious whammy bar abuse - and I have not had to retune it yet, not even a touch. There is a very noticeable improvement in acoustic tone, too - the guitar is a bit more "solid" sounding, which I attribute to the added mass that comes with the new bridge.

So far, I'm sold. I'm back to work tomorrow so after some thorough abuse, I'll check back again in a few days to let you guys know how its held up.

Has anyone else tried such a modification to their Rick? I can't recall ever seeing one, except for maybe a crude butchering of a vintage Rick a few times.
beatlefreak

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge on a Rickenbacker

Post by beatlefreak »

You know it isn't true until we see pics...
:wink:
Ka is a wheel.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Very interesting. I always liked the Gibson bridges, too, but it never occurred to me to try one on my rick. I'm curious how you like it in the long run. String spacing is no problem?
All I wanna do is rock!
kingblud

Post by kingblud »

I'd love to see pics of this, and maybe also some info on how to do it myself. I think a TOM bridge instead of the four-screw one would be worth exploring.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Nice clean look to that one.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Sweet! The rounded contour complements the pickup cover and the brass saddles and wheels are nice with the gold guard and chrome scheme. 8) 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Not a bad look. And the Tune-o-matic is a great bridge.
Ka is a wheel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is a nice look. I would love to see a photo of the whole instrument.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Nice, clean modification! :)

In my expericence, having a bridge with more metal mass would definitely have the tonal benefits you describe, as well as add sustain.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

That one looks like a perfect match !
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I am a firm believer of getting the very best tone that I can out my instruments. As a consequence, I believe that this is an interesting experiment and I must add that it looks great. Personally I would love to hear this guitar used in one of your recordings John.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
pfflam

Post by pfflam »

Let's see that whole guitar!!

Is that a white 360?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

pfflam wrote: Is that a white 360?
Pretty much. :( :(
pfflam

Post by pfflam »

Ok . . . so its obvious that you've always wanted a Fireglo (who hasn't?!) but had to settle for that *ugh* white thing . . . So, I'll tell you what I'll do for you: I'm willing to send my lovely Fireglo over to your house and you can send that white-thing over here . . . you can even keep the fancy-pants bridge you put on it.

What'dya think?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”