4001 & The Unpleasant Clank

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ch willie

4001 & The Unpleasant Clank

Post by ch willie »

I got my 4001 in 1978. I was never totally happy with the pickups and eventually changed them to the horse shoe and toaster pups.

Lately I've noticed a hard and unpleasant very metal clank in all pup positions.

I love the normal growl and clank, but this isn't it.

Any ideas of what I'm dealing with? The horse shoe and toaster pups are about 5 years old, and the output is good.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: 4001 & The Unpleasant Clank

Post by blueflamerick »

Strings hitting pickups perhaps? Maybe you need a truss rod or action adjustment.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

blueflamerick wrote:Strings hitting pickups perhaps? Maybe you need a truss rod or action adjustment.
+1

I was thinking along those lines, that the neck may need an adjustment, but in the aspect that the clank might be from a string hitting a now-high fret.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Thanks, guys. I'm going to take it in for a setup. It's been due one for a long time. I'll post the results of the setup.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ch willie wrote:Thanks, guys. I'm going to take it in for a setup. It's been due one for a long time. I'll post the results of the setup.
William thanks for your good question. Please let us know how things turn out.
There are some who go for the metal clank believe it or not. :lol:
The title of this thread would make for a pretty good band name.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Guys, I don't know what the tech does, but my Ric sounds better than it ever has. I spent an hour playing it a 3am this morning.

I don't know what was causing the clank but it's gone and is replaced with the right kind of clank.

Anyway, I'm soooo happy because I was worried that something had gone wrong in the pickups.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”