request help - output jack

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bluewhale

request help - output jack

Post by bluewhale »

Forumites,

I would like to learn how to do a minor repair on a Ric-O-Sound output jack. I would be grateful if someone could help. This is for my '78 4001 bass.

I am having a common problem: using the mono output, the signal for the bridge pickup drops out, or comes back in, depending on the position of the cable. Others have fixed this for me in the past, but I think it's time to deal with it myself.

I think I remember that the fix is to bring the jack out of the bass, leaving everything connected, and push a certain piece back into place. In any case, I don't know how to proceed, and I could use some guidance.

Thank you,
bluewhale
bluewhale

Re: request help - output jack

Post by bluewhale »

Time will tell, but I may have solved my own problem. I know this is standard Rickenbacker lore, but I'll try to describe what I did in case anyone might be interested.

On a Rick-O-Sound equipped guitar or bass, as an instrument cable is plugged into the standard mono output, it pushes one metal contact onto another. Over time, corrosion builds up on those contacts. In my case, no corrosion was visible; I just guessed that it may have been to blame. Gentle application of fine sandpaper removed enough of it to restore a clean contact. This bass plays like new.

Three-position pickup selectors sometimes have the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=403224

YouTube videos posted by "Dave's World of Fun Stuff" and especially "Jakub's House of ROCK" were helpful in explaining how the jack works.

Thanks for reading,
bluewhale
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: request help - output jack

Post by jps »

Yeah, usually any issues of that sort come down to the switch in the mono jack that sums the two pickups together. Glad you got it sorted out. 8)

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”