4003s Setup

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

syncop8r
Veteran RRF member

4003s Setup

Post by syncop8r »

I thought I should change my strings sometime this decade and fix (or bypass) the temperamental pickup switch on my 4003s. While I'm at it I would like to go through a setup, check the trussrods etc and hopefully remove some fret buzzing.

Could someone please point me to a setup guide if one exists? I think in the past I went here: http://www.joeysbassnotes.com
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: 4003s Setup

Post by scott_s »

Where are you getting buzzing -- do you hear it through the amp? Do you own a set of feeler gauges and a short machinist's rule? There are some good setup threads in the Bass subforum, but perhaps we could walk through it here. :)
syncop8r
Veteran RRF member

Post by syncop8r »

I don't think the buzz is coming through the amp.

It happens mostly at the 6th and 8th frets on the E string, and the open G string.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

syncop8r wrote:I don't think the buzz is coming through the amp.

It happens mostly at the 6th and 8th frets on the E string, and the open G string.
Sounds like there might be two issues at play. The buzz on the open G makes me suspect a low nut slot.

But first: have you checked the neck relief? My usual method is to hold down a string at the first and last fret and hold up the instrument to check for light under the string at the 7th fret. If there's no gap, I might loosen that truss rod ever so slightly and re-check.

Back to the open G -- I check nut slot height a similar way. If you press down the string at the 3rd fret, you should see the tiniest bit of light between the string and the 1st fret. (Alternate method: press down the string at the 2nd fret and pluck the note between the nut and 1st fret, and see if the tone changes when you fret at the 3rd fret and do the same.) If there isn't any light and the note doesn't change, you may need to build up the nut slot and re-file it. Might be a job for a luthier if you're not experienced there.

Buzz between the 6th and 8th frets makes me wonder if those frets are worn or if there may be too much relief on that side. A straighter neck would "lift up" that portion of the fretboard so the strings would be a bit higher over the remaining frets.

Sorry for how wordy that got. These are all things that are fairly quick to do, but can take a bit to describe. :)
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

P.S. I'm not sure why I said to check the relief at the 7th fret! The 8th would be closer to the mid-point of your neck; I must have missed a step in my math.
syncop8r
Veteran RRF member

Post by syncop8r »

scott_s wrote:The buzz on the open G makes me suspect a low nut slot.
Yeah that's what I was wondering. Which isn't a big problem as I almost never play the open G string.
Using your alternative method the pitch changes. Where should I fret? Just below the fret as normal, or just above it since I am plucking the string to the other side of it?

The light in here is too poor at the moment to see if there is any gap following your first method.
(I started replying before I discovered this)

Checking the neck relief as you described there is less than half a millimetre gap between the strings and the fret - but I will re-check again when I have more light.

I do have some feeler gauges but I can't remember where I put them last. :roll:
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

syncop8r wrote:
scott_s wrote:The buzz on the open G makes me suspect a low nut slot.
Yeah that's what I was wondering. Which isn't a big problem as I almost never play the open G string.
Using your alternative method the pitch changes. Where should I fret? Just below the fret as normal, or just above it since I am plucking the string to the other side of it?

The light in here is too poor at the moment to see if there is any gap following your first method.
(I started replying before I discovered this)

Checking the neck relief as you described there is less than half a millimetre gap between the strings and the fret - but I will re-check again when I have more light.

I do have some feeler gauges but I can't remember where I put them last. :roll:
If you've got a capo, try that on the 1st or 3rd fret (depending on which you're checking) so you can have both hands free to move the bass around while you hold it up to the light. :)

If there isn't enough neck relief, resolving that could fix the open-G buzz without needing to touch the nut.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”