Finish advice for 4003

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

AlexM

Finish advice for 4003

Post by AlexM »

Hi guys, first post here..

I recently picked up a Level 3 scratch n dent 4003 from MF, It was nice and cheap, I knew there would be SOME kind of issue, but didn't know what (they didn't have a description), I'm in Australia, so we have to take what we can get!

Anyway, it arrived, it looks brand new, plays beautifully out of the box and sounds awesome through my GK rig.

However, the Level 3 'damage', there is a nice big chunk missing from the inner lower horn and there was a big crack in the finish on the upper side, which caught on my jumper and peeled off (matter of time), from what i've read on here and the web a handful of 2011 (which mine is) models had some isolated peeling paint issues (this isn't a dig at Ric, sometimes manufacturers have the odd issue, the fact this bass was new and from 2011 tells me it may have taken a while to happen?).

It looks like it may be a fireglo underneath?

Anyway.. the paint that comes off is soft and flexible like vinyl stickering, but the edge of the patch is hard and brittle (As I guess it should be).

So heres my question for you refin and paint guys or anyone who experienced this.. Is it likely to be just these isolated spots? The rest of it APPEARS to be solid, would spot finishing be safe here? (A full refin is somewhat expensive at this point), as most guys near me spray poly, would this be ok or react?

Leave it, live with it? Will it get worse? The bass is KILLER, I love love it, it will get the be-jeebus gigged out of it anyway.

After the jumper incident
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Finish advice for 4003

Post by johnallg »

A big welcome to the RRF Alex.

I have never seen, heard, nor suspected RIC of doing something like painting over a FG to make it a JG. I am wondering if this is something MF did.... This is a new one for me.
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

johnallg wrote:A big welcome to the RRF Alex.

I have never seen, heard, nor suspected RIC of doing something like painting over a FG to make it a JG. I am wondering if this is something MF did.... This is a new one for me.
ta!
While its possible.. I somehow doubt it, its a really clean thin job and the red underneath looks and feels exactly as I imagine it would just before clear coat is sprayed on.
But hey, who knows?!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

AlexM wrote:
johnallg wrote:A big welcome to the RRF Alex.

ta!
While its possible.. I somehow doubt it, its a really clean thin job and the red underneath looks and feels exactly as I imagine it would just before clear coat is sprayed on.
But hey, who knows?!
If true, that's a little disappointing.....

You might ask a mod to have this thread moved to the Curmudge thread and see what Paul W thinks.

viewforum.php?f=14
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

Ah thanks..

Mr. Mod, can you please move it across?

ta :mrgreen:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

You bought it to play it, right? And you dig the sound? If it was mine I'd just enjoy playing it as is until I could afford to have it re-finished someday. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Hi,

Whereabout are you in sunny Oz?

Personally, I would just live with the dent and see this as character... Or if it bugs you, just cover the red with electrical tape.

Interesting to see a Fireglo undercoat! Or disapointing... Probably painted by an old Fender employee...
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Definitely odd having Jetglo painted over Fireglo, but I suppose they could have needed to fill a bunch of Jetglo orders and had a few extra Fireglo basses.

Anyway, as for the guys in your area spraying "poly," if your bass does have a factory finish, it IS "poly." They have been finished in "poly" since about 1959 when they stopped using nitrocellulose lacquer.

Now, you need to define what "poly" means. From the late '50s up until mid 2010, they used "Conversion Varnish," which is a 2-part catalyzing polyurethane. Since that time, they have used a UV cured polyester finish. Now, whatever "poly" the guys in your area spray, it may be compatible, but it's hard to know for sure without knowing what it actually is...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

cjj wrote:Now, whatever "poly" the guys in your area spray, it may be compatible, but it's hard to know for sure without knowing what it actually is...
I would like to find one luthier in Oz able or willing to use conversion varnish (and adjust the neck of a 4001...).
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

I think it looks pretty cool as is. And you'll always be able to pick your bass out of a croud.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I have seen this before. It happened to my 4004MID after I began scoring the finish to be routed. The finish lifted, then peeled right off in spots. Because I was obviously modding the bass, RIC did nothing, even though it shouldn't have ever peeled under any conditions. When I took the bass to Pat Wilkins to have it refinished, he showed me a newer 360MID that had done the same thing, but without the benefit of being modded. The solid finishes don't often stick well to the primer for some reason. Pat couldn't believe how smooth the primer was where the finish peeled off. People on other threads have talked about peeling and flaking paint around 4003 tailpieces, which is exactly what mine looked like where I scored it. The rest of the finish will peel off over time, and that's just the way it is. However, you got a good deal on it, so you'll need to find a way to live with it. On my new 2010 4003MID, I got tired of the peeling paint around the tailpiece, and where I routed it for the two HB1's, so I sanded it all off, reshaping the neck to my tastes in the process, and then oiled and waxed it. It's my regular player, but that the finish did that and was out of warranty by the time I got it (through the big MF sale a couple years ago) was just not right.
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

Thanks guys..

Well I've played it heavily all weekend.. Wow, this really must have been sitting around unplayed!
Small finish cracks starting to appear on the face, some along the neck, neck join ones becoming more pronounced, some appearing near the strap pins.

Only one thing for it, play it and play and play it some more, when I have spare cash have it stripped and refinned, hopefully to a blue boy finish..

Colonel, I'm in Melbourne.
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

I was curious..

I took a big chunk of the flaked paint, put it in a little dish of acetone free nail polish remover.

Instantly a whole lot of red bled out of it..
Then the black started to bleed out slowly.

In 20 seconds I was left with a near perfectly clear chunk of finish.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Dane, did yours have the red underneath like this one?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

sloop_john_b wrote:Dane, did yours have the red underneath like this one?
No it didn't. It was grey, and stuck to the back of the peeling finish, while the bass itself was left with an extremely smooth clear coating of some kind. Pat Wilkins wasn't surprised that the primer and finish didn't stick to it.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”