Finish advice for 4003

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

AlexM

Re: Finish advice for 4003

Post by AlexM »

I'm not sanding anything!!!
I don't even want to rub it any more than I have.. might end up with pink patches! :x

Red primer.. well I guess its possible
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Is it perhaps solid red underneath and not fireglo? I didn't notice any gradation to the red. Just a thought ...
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Or some strange reaction that caused the under coat layer to turn red...

I'm still bettin' on those space aliens...
:wink: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

What's under the red? Mapleglo gloss? I like this bass, it's like a gobstopper changing colour.
clankchris

Post by clankchris »

AlexM wrote:Hmm.. I hate to be the bearer of bad news in regards to 'we never over spray'..

Just happened to see the top of the box.. Serial number matches.. colour matches, ship date would be correct.
Sorry guys, this HAS to be a factory repaint.. It left the factory as JG.

Ill just add, I'm not after anything. I'm not looking for warranty support (Its out of warranty), I did come here to get info on the finish and how to correct it.

I don't see that as conclusive, unless you know what happened with it. Some dummy could have dyed it red after the fact? Unless this was a brand new bass?
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

clankchris wrote:
I don't see that as conclusive, unless you know what happened with it. Some dummy could have dyed it red after the fact? Unless this was a brand new bass?
Well... As everyone is playing detective here, I'll do it too!

From the picture, the "JG". writing with the marker pen looks like it was made directly on the cardboard box. But I could be wrong. If this is the case, that settles the mystery. Otherwise... Who knows!
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
clankchris wrote:

From the picture, the "JG". writing with the marker pen looks like it was made directly on the cardboard box. But I could be wrong. If this is the case, that settles the mystery. Otherwise... Who knows!
Apparently, what is written on the cardboard box is far from settling the mystery since the serial number seems to belong to what was originally a Mapleglo instrument:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=409680#p805142
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

cjj wrote:
Colonel Sanders wrote:
clankchris wrote:

Apparently, what is written on the cardboard box is far from settling the mystery since the serial number seems to belong to what was originally a Mapleglo instrument:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=409680#p805142
What's more likely though.. Factory got their serial numbers mixed up in the records (Volkswagen did with our Golf) or someone meticulously switched over serials, carefully bleached out the serial written in the body cavity to write in another.. Etc etc..

Ask yourself this.. What is more likely.

1. The instrument was maple glo, was shipped to Italy where someone meticulously stripped it, partly finished it fireglo, decided they didn't like it, beautifully and perfectly finished it jetglo (it is a factory perfect thin jetglo).
Then somehow it mysteriously made its way back to America where it was somehow matched up with a genuine Ric box with what appear to be correct original (and 2011 matching shipping tags ) serials, then sold on to MF (keep in mind it's completely unplayed) to be sold on back to me.

Or

2. It's a Friday, worker in factory needs a jetglo to fill the weeks orders, all he has prepped is a fireglo, he know he shouldn't.. Bugger it, spray it black. It gets shipped.

It happens, humans are humans.

(When I say fireglo, I don't necessarily mean 'fireglo', I mean mysterious red substance.
Last edited by AlexM on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I have a Jetglo 4004 with a ding right by the output jack. It's red underneath the jetglo.
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

Badanovski wrote:I have a Jetglo 4004 with a ding right by the output jack. It's red underneath the jetglo.
Pics?

See, I wonder if its a reaction of the black with something that stains the colour under, like sometimes a black leather strap will leave a purple or similar stain when it comes into contact with something.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, the factory could have mixed up the serial numbers. I was only trying to imply that the mystery isn't solved yet, part of that mystery being that the factory records seem to indicate something very different than what the box for the Jetglo is showing.

And now, more mystery, another Jetglo instrument that apparently has some red substance under the black...
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

cjj wrote:Yes, the factory could have mixed up the serial numbers. I was only trying to imply that the mystery isn't solved yet, part of that mystery being that the factory records seem to indicate something very different than what the box for the Jetglo is showing.

And now, more mystery, another Jetglo instrument that apparently has some red substance under the black...
I'm preferring option 1. Though, it's very Dan Brown-esk! I can see a movie with Tom Hanks about a whole under ground Ric stripping, repainting and shipping back to America organisation run by the Vatican!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Or those sneaky space aliens I mentioned before...
:roll: :lol: :lol:
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

001.JPG
Alex, while a career in photography for me is out I think you can get the idea! :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice self portrait! 8) but, what's that red snot-like stuff coming out of your nose? :mrgreen:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”