Janglebell Rock® SCARF 12/8/12

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Janglebell Rock® SCARF 12/8/12

Post by rickenbrother »

collin wrote:Just keep it fun, keep it low-pressure and celebrate these instruments with the company of good friends. 8)
Unless it's an actual large scale SCARF, that's exactly what we intend to do from now on.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Did anyone know the people that hogged the stage at all? It almost sound like they were gate crashers?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

winston wrote:Did anyone know the people that hogged the stage at all? It almost sound like they were gate crashers?
Maybe those Hautewerk troublemakers? :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

sloop_john_b wrote:
winston wrote:Did anyone know the people that hogged the stage at all? It almost sound like they were gate crashers?
Maybe those Hautewerk troublemakers? :lol:
I don't think so :lol: . Mike, said they played a whole pile of well rehearsed Beatle tunes
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickenbrother wrote:
collin wrote:Just keep it fun, keep it low-pressure and celebrate these instruments with the company of good friends. 8)
Unless it's an actual large scale SCARF, that's exactly what we intend to do from now on.
What, you don't want large scale events like SCARF to be fun, low pressure, and celebrating with good friends?!??!

Edit: I forgot the :wink: (At least I hope it should be there).
Last edited by cjj on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

sloop_john_b wrote:Maybe those Hautewerk troublemakers? :lol:
Sorry to disappoint you but neither I nor any member of Hautewerk played. And the last time, it was only 2/5ths of the band for two? tunes, with other attendees filling in on drums and lead.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

We want it all to be fun for everyone, not just for a few people who turn up thinking everybody there just wants to watch them play. Flubs, goofs, forgotten lyrics-that's what makes it fun and human. Nobody needs to feel intimidated when they come to an event, they need to know that they are welcome and don't have to know every note perfectly. It's supposed to be fun, and for the most part, they always are.

Also-major thanks and props to all the folks who assemble the nuts and bolts of these things. I don't want to come across like I'm any real part of making these events happen, If I'm not on the road my wife and I like to come out and hang with our friends and play a song or 2 and get to meet new forumites and welcome them to the event.

I am posting this because I want these people to get their due respect and appreciation for their time, money, and effort. I help out with what I can, but they are the ones who make it happen and for that I am grateful. Thank you!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

So this person/people hogged the stage for hours and no one said anything to them? Just let it happen?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jdogric12 wrote:So this person/people hogged the stage for hours and no one said anything to them? Just let it happen?
As much as I would have let the Bronx in me come out and lose my mind, I have established a good relationship at Malone's. I'd like to keep it that way.
It won't happen again. We'll go about inviting people to jams much differently. The days of cat-herding are over.
johnhall wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Maybe those Hautewerk troublemakers? :lol:
Sorry to disappoint you but neither I nor any member of Hautewerk played. And the last time, it was only 2/5ths of the band for two? tunes, with other attendees filling in on drums and lead.
I tried to get JH to jam. I think he didn't want to interrupt the stage hog fun. Maybe some Bronx would have come out of HIM! :mrgreen:
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

Thanks to Joey, Diane, and Rich for putting these things together! The jams are always a lot of fun, and I felt like I played just enough at this one, given the amount I practiced (not at all). And thanks to all the great musicians I had the privilege of sharing the stage with: Snowman, Dave, Gary, and John (I think that's everybody).

As for the stage hogs, I can't say I noticed them too much. Who were they? Have we gotten to the bottom of it?
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
DRick12

Post by DRick12 »

I was one.

I humbly offer my apologies. From my apparently blind eyes and deaf ears, it seemed as if all was cool. I would have been happy to give up the spot had anyone suggested it, but that in no way is an excuse. So why did I stay on? Who knows? Love of Ricks, Love of 60’s music, love of the experience. It was a bit like being back when I heard those tunes on the radio for the first time again, and then being able to play those tunes that were on the radio with real musicians who truly love that music as much as I.

I should not have brought my gear…it made it way too easy for me to hang and hang and hang
I will say I don’t think I purposely sang over anyone (except when I had a senior moment and stomped on “the One I love” for which I apologized.
I was happy sit in all of the talented assembled musicians. I admit I suggested we double the solo in “Sunshine of your Love”. I suppose this was my mistake, confusing sitting in with jamming.

So I’m the guy at the party with the lampshade on his head in this situation. I take full responsibility for my actions and if I caused anyone disappointment or made any one uncomfortable by my actions I am truly sorry.

Ricks are fantastic and I wouldn’t have one now if it weren’t for SCARF.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jps wrote:
beatbyrd wrote:A brave soul with a pair of wire cutters might be another, more aggressive option (kidding).
(Not kidding), I knew a guy, in my early days of playing bass, who actually did this a couple times in my presence, I did not know his past history until years later. :(
I don't have any big dead fish, but I canv bring a whole bagful of my old Chucks, the ones I wear for painting and yard work; Mike Snow can attest to the punk tradition of throwing shoes at people on stage.

I'm sorry I couldn't help organize this or the last couple; the combination of work and law school is killing me... oh, and playing in a band or two....on hiatus for Nov/Dec.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

DRick12 wrote:I was one.

I humbly offer my apologies. From my apparently blind eyes and deaf ears, it seemed as if all was cool. I would have been happy to give up the spot had anyone suggested it, but that in no way is an excuse. So why did I stay on? Who knows? Love of Ricks, Love of 60’s music, love of the experience. It was a bit like being back when I heard those tunes on the radio for the first time again, and then being able to play those tunes that were on the radio with real musicians who truly love that music as much as I.

I should not have brought my gear…it made it way too easy for me to hang and hang and hang
I will say I don’t think I purposely sang over anyone (except when I had a senior moment and stomped on “the One I love” for which I apologized.
I was happy sit in all of the talented assembled musicians. I admit I suggested we double the solo in “Sunshine of your Love”. I suppose this was my mistake, confusing sitting in with jamming.

So I’m the guy at the party with the lampshade on his head in this situation. I take full responsibility for my actions and if I caused anyone disappointment or made any one uncomfortable by my actions I am truly sorry.

David, I think you're good man. I enjoy jamming with you. You words here prove that you're a good guy. There was someone else, a first time jammer. Took alot of time of the stage. He didn't seem to be there to just to jam. He finally got off the stage to take a break, not to give someone else a chance to play. I'll stop right there.
Let's discuss the good times we had that day. We did have some good times. :)
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

rickenbrother wrote:
DRick12 wrote:I was one.

David, I think you're good man. I enjoy jamming with you. You words here prove that you're a good guy. There was someone else, a first time jammer. Took alot of time of the stage. He didn't seem to be there to just to jam. He finally got off the stage to take a break, not to give omeone else a chance to play. I'll stop right there.
Let's discuss the good timeswe had that day. We did have some good times. :)
Everything Joey said. And I didn't think doubling up the soloing on "Sunshine of Your Love" was a problem, but that's easy for me to say since I was on stage! :lol: I don't think you were the problem. Keep coming to the jams, Dave. We enjoy having you there. I honestly didn't even notice there was a problem until it was mentioned here after the fact.

But anyway...I had a great time, as always, and will be looking forward to the next!
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
8mileshigher

Janglebell Rock® SCARF 12/8/12

Post by 8mileshigher »

rickenbrother wrote: David, I think you're good man. I enjoy jamming with you. You words here prove that you're a good guy.
Let's discuss the good times we had that day. We did have some good times. :)

+1 on what Joey said.
Sometimes the enthusiasm of the love of Rickenbaker tone, and great old tunes, can get anyone carried away . :roll: :wink:

And Dave, I also want to thank you that when I was trying to get some backing musicians together there (at the end of the Jam), in order to back up Vicky singing on a few tunes and I thank you for filling in there, as we were scrambling to get her a chance to perform some of the songs she had signed up for. Much appreciated.

I also thought that Dave and Snowman doubling up the solo on "Sunshine of Your Love" sounded awesome and as I commented at the time -- those two guys disproved the notion that you can't play Lead on a Rickenbacker !!!

So onwards and upwards ......and as Joey says, "we did have some good times" ! :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”