Ampeg AEB-1

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

woodyng

Post by woodyng »

those are both really sweet! personally,i like the look of the refinished natural one,for something different.i saw rick danko on a solo tour in the late 70's/early 80's? playing one of these and getting a great sound with it...a sound most bassists of that time didn't want....i think the eastwood looks cool,but it probably sounds nothing like the orig,sort of like epiphone's reissue of the nonreverse tb...
'74 4000 White
'98 4004Ci
'04 4004Cii MG Fretless conversion
'04 4004 Laredo FG 4002v57 Custom
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

Danko's was modified with p-bass pick ups...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Boy, I wonder where that one is today, Lars.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
Aden72

Re: Ampeg AEB-1

Post by Aden72 »

I know the original posting is ancient, but I thought I'd contribute:

I owned a 1967 Ampeg AEB-1. The pickup is under the pickguard, it's called (not kidding) a "mystery pickup." It is a transducer and unique to these basses. It has a really cool tone. So--back in the day when this bass was designed, electric basses were still considered "new" by many in the industry. The engineers at Ampeg didn't see the future of electrified bass as a guitar, they conceptualized an electrified, horizontal upright. Originally, these basses used cat-gut strings. Yep, cat-gut. This why there is a scroll headstock and the bass as whole, looks rather funky. MCA, the bassist for the Beastie Boys had played one (say what you want about the Beastie Boys, but he is the only name I can recall ever playing one of these). These models were short-lived as Ampeg was also producing the Baby Bass, which was/is an electrified upright. Anyway--if you find one in a shop,know that they are a groovy bass to own and an investment. The pre-1968 models are worth more simply because Ampeg switched the electronics from a transducer "Mystery pickup" to a more standard magnetic one--hence the tone is different. The serial numbers for these basses are stamped on the bottom of the bridge, so you should be able to see it clearly when you look at the bridge-end of the bass.

Cheers!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Since I posted here, I have never gotten to play another one. I remember really liking it! I'd love to play one again.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Aden72 wrote:Originally, these basses used cat-gut strings. Yep, cat-gut.
Just to stave off protests from those that love their moggies, let's remember that this is a contraction of "cattle gut". Or, in other words, "cattle" is concatenated . . . Anyway, it's not really from a cat.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

johnhall wrote:
Just to stave off protests from those that love their moggies, let's remember that this is a contraction of "cattle gut". Or, in other words, "cattle" is concatenated . . . Anyway, it's not really from a cat.
Darn! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

johnallg wrote:
johnhall wrote:
Darn! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey! My moggies are relieved to know this!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Over the years I've had both an AEB-1 and a Devil Bass. I liked the neck and distinctive look. Didn't care much for the sound.

Later on Ampeg replaced the mystery pickup with a P-Bass-style magnetic pickup, and moved the tailpiece up. That sounded more conventional.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”