VOX AC50CP2 - Looks kind of cool.

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ric330
Intermediate Member

VOX AC50CP2 - Looks kind of cool.

Post by ric330 »

Well I was browsing through some Vox amps on the net and came actross this thang.

Here's some demos of sound:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/support/demos.asp#classicplus

I'd love to test drive one with a Rick for a ****** Off Hornet in a Beer Can tone... :lol:
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
scotty

Re: VOX AC50CP2 - Looks kind of cool.

Post by scotty »

I wish id bought that instead of this nevermind theres always something you cant have Damn
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I have an AC50CP2H (the head version of this amp), which I use for guitar, along with the bottom 2 X 12 cabinet (same as an AC-30) and trolley that Gary at NCM made for me. It ROARS. I haven't gigged it yet--maybe later this year after I buy a truck :D but when I had it at my office and was cranking it up late one light, it knocked the clock and one picture off my wall when I played the first chord on my 6122-59 Gretsch. It was set on 2, with master volume and level all the way up. It's loaded with features. I plan on using it for guitar. Seems to have a LOT more punch than my Blonde Dual Showman, which is supposed to be 100 watts. Warning: This head unit weighs about 70 pounds...

The 1964 Royal Guardsman replica is below, which I had Gary put together using the AC30 extension speaker cabinet, a "Beatles in Australia" single-tube trolley, and an AD100VTH solid state head. It's mostly for clean use with my US-made 1966 Continental organ.

Gary's quality is incredible, and attention to detail is spot-on. I just wish it would have come in a 1964-replica box!

scotty

Post by scotty »

Ah Paul you need a truck Ill swap you mine for that Jazzbo
ric330
Intermediate Member

Post by ric330 »

Yeah, that Jazzbo is too cool.

I'm amazed that just the VOX head weighs that much. It caught my eye because of the front panel layout and saw that it was Tube powered.
Great rig Paul. Thanks for posting the pictures.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You put your shirt on when you drive it, don't you, Scottie :D

BTW, is that Mitsu a turbo? Looks like just the type of thing for a trip up the side of a steep stone wall, in comfort...

Kevin, it actually weighs 48.5 pounds, according to the VOX website. The combo weighs 77+. Casters, anyone?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Yeah a turbo is your Jazzbo :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ric330
Intermediate Member

Post by ric330 »

Paul
That 2 12 cabinet looks great with the dark grill cloth. Was that a Custom order from NCM along with the trolley?
I like it.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Kevin, yes; custom order. Gary will swap grille cloths and I wanted a Thomas-era Guardsman (which is a mythical beast).

I also am going to cover the top part of the AC50's front panel with a swatch of the same stuff, just for that vintage look.

digam11

Post by digam11 »

jingle_jangle wrote:I have an AC50CP2H (the head version of this amp), which I use for guitar, along with the bottom 2 X 12 cabinet (same as an AC-30) and trolley that Gary at NCM made for me. It ROARS. I haven't gigged it yet--maybe later this year after I buy a truck :D but when I had it at my office and was cranking it up late one light, it knocked the clock and one picture off my wall when I played the first chord on my 6122-59 Gretsch. It was set on 2, with master volume and level all the way up. It's loaded with features. I plan on using it for guitar. Seems to have a LOT more punch than my Blonde Dual Showman, which is supposed to be 100 watts. Warning: This head unit weighs about 70 pounds...

The 1964 Royal Guardsman replica is below, which I had Gary put together using the AC30 extension speaker cabinet, a "Beatles in Australia" single-tube trolley, and an AD100VTH solid state head. It's mostly for clean use with my US-made 1966 Continental organ.

Gary's quality is incredible, and attention to detail is spot-on. I just wish it would have come in a 1964-replica box!

Paul, those are two beautiful rigs. I`ve been exploring the AC50s myself recently.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Gary's work is great. I have an AC30 combo that looks the same as Paul's gear here (black tolex & grille), and it's dee-lish.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Just for the record, I think having the knobs on the front of an AC30 type cab is hideous. Really ruins the look.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Looks great Paul, nice to see Vox trying to do something other than amps made 40+ years ago.

Great to hear this thing cranks, as I have no opportunity to try one out and refuse to go on Harmony Central and read how little Johnny couldn't get the amp to sound like Slayer with his Boss Heavy Metal pedal. Let us know how it sounds with the band :D
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I just picked up an AC50CP2 combo here in town. Haven't used it at band practice yet, but the test drive was pretty cool!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Said amp was traded to a friend for yet another old piece of gear of mine. Details at some point.

Having said that, the AC50CP2 is totally cool and highly recommended. I would have kept mine if it wasn't a particularly groovy situation.

And PW, you still got that 2x12" NCM Vox cab?

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”