Amp for 12 string?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Amp for 12 string?

Post by kiramdear »

My Mesa Boogie DC-5 is a very versatile amp. I set it for clean tones and it sounds beautiful with my 360/12CW. But it also gets down and dirty with the best of them. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

doctorwho wrote:
paologregorio wrote:
doctorwho wrote:I recommend a current-era Kustom '36 Coupe, either the 1-12" or 2-10" version.
P1010165.JPG
These use 6L6 power tubes and an Accutronics reverb tank so they sound a lot like a vintage Fender. If you need tremolo (vibrato) or higher power, you can go with the '72 Coupe, which is available as a separate head.

Or get a good Silverface Fender ...
P5033799B.JPG
:D
I recommend using any one...or more, of Gary's amps. . . . :mrgreen:
We should use RIC-O-Sound at the next jam at the house ... there will be sound EVERYWHERE! :shock: :lol:
If we used three ROS boxes together we could split the signal between six amps. The resulting sound would be huge, and we could compete with the train running behind the house.....and probably initiate the zombie apocalypse while we're at it. ... :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
ByrdBro

Post by ByrdBro »

Back to OP and hoping that the poster has got himself sorted by now,should hope so by now :D but....

If this is any help to anyone checking this thread I too had a Fender ( VibroChamp ) Champ and really couldn't get a good sound from my Rick 660-12.

The Twin Reverb proved to be too heavy and clean.

Then I tried a Deluxe Reverb ReIssue....and I haven't looked back
grenadilla

Post by grenadilla »

For the British sound of early Beatles or Who you would want EL 34 tubes as in a Hiwatt. Modern Reeves amps sound like that. Laney has a 50 watt head that gets a nice chime and distortion at the same time. A Fender Vibrolux or Deluxe will cut good.
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

ByrdBro wrote:Then I tried a Deluxe Reverb ReIssue....and I haven't looked back
I prefer using my old Blackface Deluxe Reverb over my AC-30 when playing a 12-string. It has the added bonus of being able to be played in my apartment without upsetting the neighbours.
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

Here's what I use:

Carr Vincent - 33 watts, 1x12 Eminence

'71 Deluxe Reverb - 22 watts, Weber 12F150 speaker

Vox AC30H2 - 30 watts, 2x12 Celestion Alnico Blues

They all work and sound great with the Rick - and my pickups are toasters. I just bought an original '68 Super Reverb with 4x10 speakers. I'm looking forward to trying that rig live.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I like vintage AC50's and AC100's with the Ric 12's with toasters and flatwounds. I couldn't afford a real Vox like those so I made myself a clone. It is a better sound for the 12 than the AC30. Fenders sound good too.

Greg
viento

Post by viento »

I have the little Laney Lionheart L5 Studio amp for my 360/12 Rich and a thinline tele. I´m playing both through a 2X12" Greenbacks cabinet.
The loudness is sufficient for me as I only play at home. Volume is about setting 2 or 3 from available 10.
As I´m missing some sound shaping I had tested the Roland JC 40. It is nice and has input jacks for the R-O-S --- but for my taste the sound´s a bit too cold.
What would be your opinion for the Vox AC 15C1 , especially the handwired ones - with a Greenback or even with the famous Celestion Alnico Blue?
They´re not cheap but seem to be good and -if I wanted- could feed my 2X12" greenbacks cab...
viento

Post by viento »

viento wrote: ...What would be your opinion for the Vox AC 15C1 , especially the handwired ones - with a Greenback or even with the famous Celestion Alnico Blue?
They´re not cheap but seem to be good and -if I wanted- could feed my 2X12" greenbacks cab...
Well, I just got the Vox AC 15C1 Head in white (-limited edition -) and play it with my 2X12" greenback cab.
Its fab and I´ll sell my Laney Studio before Xmas.
I will change the two 16Ω greenbacks for two 8Ω Celestion G12H-30, 55Hz-Heritage Series, so I can switch from 15, 1.5, and 0.15 watts- if I like.With 16Ω this isn´t possible.
My JangleBox works well with this amp when Iplay my 360-12 Rick.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”