Amp for 12 string?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

billydlight

Re: Amp for 12 string?

Post by billydlight »

Vox Night Train.

Really Really good. I gig with it all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgx3_idL_fg

ps why can't I get the video to show here?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

The Night Train amp sounds killer; I've heard Billy demo his via You Tube, and heard one in person at NAMM. :D
worf620

Post by worf620 »

After a decade or so using Vox AC30s, Hiwatts and Marshalls (JCM 800/900 and JMP) with Rickenbacker 12s, I stumbled upon an excellent (modeling sound on my Zoom digital studio) for a Fender Tweed amp. I soon realized that it was THE FENDER 6L6 SOUND that I was after all these years. I ditched my Marshall JCM 800 and opted for a "Fender-like" 6L6-equipped Peavey Valveking 1x12 with a vintage Jensen speaker, and a Boss Fender 59 Bassman pedal. This amplifier also has a switch that will allow the amp to sound like low-mids Fender "Blackfaces" or higher-mids "Tweeds". I like the Blackface sound, but IMO, the Tweed really compliments the high-end sparkle of the Rick Toasters, and adds much of that vintage 60's jangle reminiscent of early Who recordings. Much as I like the versitility of my current set-up (there is also the option on the amp to switch to Vox-like Class-A), I can eventually see myself opting for the new improved Fender Blues Deluxe amplifier. To sum up - IMO, I strongly suggest the "RICKENBACKER 12/FENDER TWEED/BLACKFACE AMPS" marriage. Makes sense - for many people Fender is THE clean amplifier sound.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

The Quilter sounds great, it is are light and can fill a good-sized bar.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Phaez Corona 6L6 or Phaez Sibly 6L6 for tubes, Roland JC120 for SS, and Vox VTX150 using any of the Blackface models, the Jc120 model. All pretty cool Ric 12 amps. I really love the Corona and the VTX150. My Phaez Jaguar is a two channel amp made up of the Phaez Corona and HRM models, but at 50W it can be over the top loud. An 18W Corona may be next on my list.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I recently acquired a Tone King Imperial. The Clean Channel is much like a Tweed Deluxe whereas the Rhythm Channnel is your Deluxe Reverb and tremolo is the best that I've heard. Played my 360/12 CW through it for the first time last night. The TK has become my primary amp.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

doctorwho wrote:I recommend a current-era Kustom '36 Coupe, either the 1-12" or 2-10" version.
P1010165.JPG
These use 6L6 power tubes and an Accutronics reverb tank so they sound a lot like a vintage Fender. If you need tremolo (vibrato) or higher power, you can go with the '72 Coupe, which is available as a separate head.

Or get a good Silverface Fender ...
P5033799B.JPG
:D
I recommend using any one...or more, of Gary's amps. . . . :mrgreen:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Harry,

Congratulations on the acquisition of your Fender Princeton Chorus amp! The Rickenbacker 12-string and the Princeton Chorus amp sound like they were made for one another! I use mine all the time with my 1991 330/12 and my 2010 360/12, and the amp responds particularly well to my JangleBox JB2 compressor. Don't let the price tag fool you, the Princeton Chorus is one of the most versatile solid state options out there. It really shines with my Strat and PRS, too. And for a great jazz tone, I plug my Guild X-170 directly into the amp with the reverb knob turned all the way down. 8)

Robert
8mileshigher

Amp for 12 string?

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote:
doctorwho wrote:I recommend a current-era Kustom '36 Coupe, either the 1-12" or 2-10" version.
P1010165.JPG
These use 6L6 power tubes and an Accutronics reverb tank so they sound a lot like a vintage Fender. If you need tremolo (vibrato) or higher power, you can go with the '72 Coupe, which is available as a separate head.

P5033799B.JPG
+1 on what Paulie says. Gary's Kustoms are great sounding amps.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

8mileshigher wrote:
paologregorio wrote:I recommend using any one...or more, of Gary's amps. . . . :mrgreen:
+1 on what Paulie says. Gary's Kustoms are great sounding amps.
Make that +2...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

paologregorio wrote:
P1010165.JPG

P5033799B.JPG
We should use RIC-O-Sound at the next jam at the house ... there will be sound EVERYWHERE! :shock: :lol:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
8mileshigher

Amp for 12 string?

Post by 8mileshigher »

doctorwho wrote: We should use RIC-O-Sound at the next jam at the house ... there will be sound EVERYWHERE! :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now there's an interesting jam idea to experiment with ..... 8) :D
Which songs will sound superior using Ric-O-Sound mode :?: :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Any Pink Floyd song.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

8mileshigher wrote:
doctorwho wrote: We should use RIC-O-Sound at the next jam at the house ... there will be sound EVERYWHERE! :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now there's an interesting jam idea to experiment with ..... 8) :D
Anything, period. :mrgreen:
JimK
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jimk wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:
Anything, period. :mrgreen:
JimK
+1! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”