Old Amplifier Date/ID Help

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

MikeZito

Old Amplifier Date/ID Help

Post by MikeZito »

To make a long story short - I bought this amp many years ago, and have been able to find NO information on it, (i.e. wattage, date/era, etc.).

This is an 'Encore' Duo. Looks like a 2x8, tube amp, with and on/off/bass knob, volume knob and 3 instrument inputs on the back. I can send larger photos if anyone thinks they can help.

Thanks.
Attachments
EncoreTopSmall.jpg
EncoreTopSmall.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
EncoreFrontSmall.jpg
EncoreFrontSmall.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
1937 Model 59 Lap Steel
c. 1960 S-100 Lap Steel
2008 620-FG (Modified)
2016 360-FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Old Amplifier Date/ID Help

Post by jps »

What tubes (and how many of each) does it use, and can you post some photos of it's guts? That will help in getting you useful information. 8) We'll want to see the transformers, and if you can, the underside of the chassis showing the components and wiring layout.

And, larger photos, too!
MikeZito

Post by MikeZito »

I may have answered one of the questions myself, by opening up the amp. To the best that my untrained eye can see, everything inside appears to be original. There are two old RCA glass tubes, both code dated to late 1956 - along with a few 'Dwarf Tiger Paper Condensers', which also appear to be from that same period . . . so, I am guessing that I am holding something from late 56/early 57. Unfortunately, there are no other tags/labels of any kind inside the amp. I have some inside photos - so, if anyone still wants to see the configurations, let me know and I will do my best of post some decent-sized images.

. . . . perhaps someday I will get up the courage to actually plug the thing in!

Thanks.
1937 Model 59 Lap Steel
c. 1960 S-100 Lap Steel
2008 620-FG (Modified)
2016 360-FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Don't plug it in! Better to make sure all is well, first. :wink:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Don't plug it in! Better to make sure all is well, first. :wink:
YES! Old capacitors are prone to deterioration, especially in the power section. These may short when power is supplied and let all of the magic smoke out...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
MikeZito

Post by MikeZito »

(laugh) Yes, that is why I have owned the amp for about 6 or 7 years, and have never used it as anything more than a $5.00 piece of vintage eye candy. One of these days I'll find a tech who can look it over, without charging me the price of a new Rickenbacker!
1937 Model 59 Lap Steel
c. 1960 S-100 Lap Steel
2008 620-FG (Modified)
2016 360-FG
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

cjj wrote:
jps wrote:Don't plug it in! Better to make sure all is well, first. :wink:
YES! Old capacitors are prone to deterioration, especially in the power section. These may short when power is supplied and let all of the magic smoke out...
And boy, do they smoke... After they explode.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

There are lots of amp techs around who could check that out for you. I know of one in the DC area who is really good, but there are others around too. Get on some amp forums and ask around and someone will turn up who will look at it for you and knows what they are doing.

Greg

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”