Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

greyash

Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Post by greyash »

Hello forum people!

I have played a Rick 330 with a small Fender amp for some time now and I am absolutely loving the cleans and the fuzz tone. However, I find it very hard to get a good dirty/crunch tone when playing loud - it was especially noticeable when doing early Oasis covers with my mates. I am currently playing through a Fender Superchamp - a 15W combo and as I said, it works beautifully for cleans and when coupled with a Fuzzface.

I have tried a lot of things but I looks like I need another amp for the dirty stuff. Of the ones that I tried I prefered two - Vox AC15/30 and Orange Tiny Terror. Both of them have great tone and are quite easy to use (Tiny Terror seems to be made for a caveman :mrgreen: ).

Do any of you have experience with those amps and a Rick? Which one would you choose? All opinions are welcome! :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Post by JakeK »

No experience with Orange amps (but there are a number of members who do have it), but do have it with the recent Vox AC-15 C1. It's an extremely versatile amp that can cover a lot of styles. One of the useful things about it is that you can have the volume of the input you are plugged into cranked to the max for a powerful dirty tone, but the master volume can be lowered for a sound easier on the ears. When coupled with a Fuzz Face, you'll have a heavenly tone. But be prepared: although it's rated at 15 watts, the Vox is LOUD, even when played clean.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I went Phaez two years ago, and I won't go back. I now have an HRM style (Dumble style)/Hot Cat style 2 channel 50 Watt, a Vox style 18W, and a JTM style 10W with some really cool mid control tricks. All have post phase inverter master volumes that works extremely well. All have a note clarity and harmonic complexity that I have not found in anything else. All are similarly priced to the TT and the AC15. They are particularly great sounding with Higains.

I have 3 Voxes that haven't been gigged in a couple of years, and one that I use for a jam night I help host ( a Valvetronix). For band gigs, Phaez only for me.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
greyash

Post by greyash »

bump for great justice
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

greyash wrote:bump for great justice
Try cross posting this on the Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone section.
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

I had a Vox AC15cc1 and liked it so much (after tube and speaker upgrades) that I sold it to get an AC30cc1 (then more tube and speaker upgrades).

I've found both to work extremely well (with a 360 and 330/12).
collin

Post by collin »

Don't count out a nice Marshall - the original crunch tone! :)
RIC.jpg
That said, I've been pretty impressed with the Orange Tiny Terror. For the price (and mobility!) they are great little amps.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”