Vintage Tweed Deluxe

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

valco

Vintage Tweed Deluxe

Post by valco »

Here is a 1960 Fender Tweed Deluxe that I recently purchased from my best guitar buddy. He wanted to sell to get a new Telecaster. I couldn't let him trade it in to the music store !
It was autographed by Merle Haggard and his band at a gig in 2010. That is a plus or minus, depending who you ask. I just enjoy the sound of this baby. it needs new caps and cord.
Attachments
P1010183.JPG
P1010181.JPG
P1010188.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Vintage Tweed Deluxe

Post by jps »

Very cool, but shouldn't you be only buying Valcos? :mrgreen:

What speaker is in it, the original?

And tubes? We need more information (and photos). 8)
valco

Post by valco »

No, I don't limit myself to Valco. Gotta spread the love....
The tubes are not original. The speaker is an old Utah, not original. At the moment, I don't have a gut shot, but it is un-tampered with. It has all good yellow tone caps. It does need the large power caps replaced and the 'death cap' removed. My plan is to have it professionally serviced and find a correct Jensen. I'll keep you posted. A couple more pics. :D
Attachments
P1010180.JPG
P1010184.JPG
P1010186.JPG
P1010187.JPG
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Nice looking amp!

I have an original 1956 5E3 with original speaker, however I had to replace all of the caps and a couple resistors in the amp. You will find that the yellow Astrons that are in that amp likely leak DC. Every one of those caps that I have ever seen has this problem. I could overhaul the amp for you since I did mine already, though I don't know if you want to pay shipping both ways to/from Oregon. I am sure there is probably a local tech in your area who could do the work, but make sure to specify exactly what you want him to do on it before you have him do the job. My mantra is to only replace the parts that need to be replaced with vintage amps. How much did you pay for it?

Greg
valco

Post by valco »

Update. I got the leaky power caps replaced, death cap removed and installed a grounded cord.

Next I am saving up for all NOS tubes. But right now this thing ROCKS.

Think ZZ Top first three albums or Mountain/Leslie West.

I'm havin' a lot of fun!!!
Attachments
P1010403.JPG

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”