AMPEG GVT 52-112

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

AMPEG GVT 52-112

Post by whojamfan »

Holy cow this amp sounds great with my 330 with toasters. The clean channel and reverb have a very full and rich tone to them. The series has been discontinued, so they are being blown out dirt cheap. Just got mine for under $400 at Sam Ash.
2 6l6s, 3 12ax7s, 2 channels, spring reverb, footswitchable effects loop, boost, channel, and reverb, 50 watts, and some seriously nice tones.

Just thought I'd pass this along, will have a more in depth review as I just got it yesterday :mrgreen:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: AMPEG GVT 52-112

Post by JakeK »

Congrats on the amp, Snowman. I've wanted to give one of these a test run. Seems perfect for that Ronnie Wood/Faces thing, as Woody used Ampegs. Can this amp do that, Snowman?

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: AMPEG GVT 52-112

Post by whojamfan »

there are plenty of internet posts about the amp getting "those Stones, Faces, Black Crowes tones", so I would say if you had the right fuzz box and guitar with all the volume and tone controls set just right, it could happen.

I haven't had the chance to really put this amp through the paces yet, but from the little I've got to hear and play it, both the clean and dirty channels dish up some nice vintage tones without being limited to just those tones. The bandaxall eqs offer a plethora of tone sculpting that allow for some precision "dialing in". The vintage look is nice and not all hipstered or cliché like so many others.

For the money, it's a big win, but these won't be around "new" much longer, and I'm sure over time they will really go up in value.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”