Vox AC-15 TVH

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Vox AC-15 TVH

Post by whojamfan »

Really stoked, basically have an NOS Vox AC-15TVH 1957-2007 50th Anniversary head on it's way to me.
So,
The "modder" in me goes online and finds out that basicaly they nailed this amp perfectly and it needs nothing.
Wow, I always thought it was a great head, but this just really makes my 330WB salivate in anticipation.
Earlier this year I scored an empty, beat up white tolex 2007 Anniversarry 2x12 cab(exactly like the one in the Pro Guitar Shop video demo of this head) and restored it to almost showroom clean and added 2 UK Celestion Blues in there.
Can't wait to crank her up!
Anyone else here have one they'd like to talk about? Love to hear how others are using theirs.
8mileshigher

Vox AC-15 TVH

Post by 8mileshigher »

Cool !! 8) :)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Vox AC-15 TVH

Post by whojamfan »

Uggh-love to post some pics but even my crummy phobe pics are too big. Bummer):
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

whojamfan wrote:Uggh-love to post some pics but even my crummy phobe pics are too big. Bummer):
Do you not have a means of reducing the file size of your photos? If not you can e-mail them to me and will take care of that for you.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I barely have the means for tying my shoes as far as computers go, I'll shoot those over to you, thank you(:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here's Mike's great looking amp! 8)
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
Mike Snow image
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Thanks Jeff, you rock!!
Hope to see you at a jam so I can buy you a drink(:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I replaced the PVC handles with some nice black leather ones from Brettuns Village. The fit perfect, lay flat when you want them to, and will most likely outlive me.
Also, I like to change the jack nuts to the white ones because I like the way they look with the white tolex, and much easier to see on a dark stage.
I've got NOS RCA preamp tubes and EZ81 in there and she's sounds stellar. I don't know what EF86 is in there, as it's got a heatshrink condom over the whole tube-but since it's not microphonic, I'll not mess with it until next year when the money tree blossoms(;
Recording guitar tracks for our new album right after Christmas, this puppy is gonna be all over it(:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

whojamfan wrote:Thanks Jeff, you rock!!
Hope to see you at a jam so I can buy you a drink(:
Some day; we have yet to meet in person. 8)

I was hoping to go to the upcoming NAMM Show but stuff got in the way (I hope to end up with a nice dining room as compensation. :!: ).
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Party at Jeff's!!(;
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Come on by! Don't forget the snow shovels. :mrgreen:
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

jps wrote:Come on by! Don't forget the snow shovels. :mrgreen:
The words snow shovels are not in my vocabulary. The only thing white that I saw yesterday was the little ball that I was chasing around the links.

Congratulations Mike, nice score.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

I know that I'm late to this, but I have the combo and its a fantastic amp...especially for the prices these days. I've been a long time fan of EF86 amps and also have a Goodsell that uses it for the preamp.

One thing that may be of help in the future is that I've found that EF86 tubes with the screen style plates generally seem to sound better than the stamped metal (more normal) looking types. For some odd reason I've also found that once an EF86 starts to act up a bit I can swap it out for awhile and eventually reinstall it and it will work great again. When I find one that I'm especially fond of I make sure not to toss it, and a lot of times I can reuse it later.

The only thing I miss is the tremolo. As of now I've built an external tube trem that works on cathode bias amps. I haven't had a chance to tap it into the Vox preamp yet, but if it works as well as it does in another amp I'm going to build it into a "top-boost" type of plate and make a replacement back panel for the AC15. That way I can add the trem and have the vintage look of an early AC.

Congrats on the amp.
bbmaster123

Post by bbmaster123 »

Hey. I understand that this topic is outdated, but I still want to remember about guitar amplifiers. I have pretty good guitar skills, and I want to buy a new guitar amp. My choice was a vox. When I looked at the vox ac15c1 review, I realized that I wanted to buy such an amplifier, because it has the best characteristics among the rest. It must have two channels, and these are Normal and Top-Boost. Maybe you can help me with the choice of an amplifier? I want to buy a pretty high-quality thing but inexpensive.
Any Beatles fan, watch "Beatles 3000" on youtube! XD
bbmaster123

Post by bbmaster123 »

bbmaster123 wrote:Hey. I understand that this topic is outdated, but I still want to remember about guitar amplifiers. I have pretty good guitar skills, and I want to buy a new guitar amp. My choice was a vox. When I looked at the vox ac15c1 review, I realized that I wanted to buy such an amplifier, because it has the best characteristics among the rest. It must have two channels, and these are Normal and Top-Boost. Maybe you can help me with the choice of an amplifier? I want to buy a pretty high-quality thing but inexpensive.
I also wanted you to advise me something.
Any Beatles fan, watch "Beatles 3000" on youtube! XD

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”