Remember Amplifier Courtesy Outlets?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Remember Amplifier Courtesy Outlets?

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Need a place to charge a phone? Try doing this on a modern amp!
Cambridge Reverb Phone Charger
Cambridge Reverb Phone Charger
Don't let democracy end democracy.
T28

Re: Remember Amplifier Courtesy Outlets?

Post by T28 »

The relatively new Mesa TT-800 has that ability.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Ah, the USB port. Very handy!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

All is well until the phone on top of your amp rings and that weird RF sound comes through your amp mid-song!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Darn phone!
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Seriously, it is not a bad idea. Those of us who have gone to wireless and digital PA systems use the phone app to adjust our personal monitor mix. The ability to keep the phone charged is a really nice aspect. All things come around. It used to be a big deal that a bass amp had a Lo-Z direct out. Especially on the newer modelling amps, If not AC, I hope the makers will continue the trend of putting USB ports on the amps so we can have digital FX in and charge the phone for the associated apps.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I always had a hard time with newer amps that have the headphone jacks and CD inputs, etc. They always seemed so...bedroomish. Now it's easier for me to see how useful those features are for these modern times. Heck, if those types of features had been available back in the day it would have been a godsend for our downstairs neighbor! Plus, practicing with headphones may have allowed the development of a lighter touch. Playing along with the stereo on a solid body bass without an amp may have encouraged digging in too much with the right hand. I still abhor headphones though!

The wireless p.a. thing is fantastic. Controlling the sound from an iPad is really convenient. Also, having a fake book on there has changed everything when it comes to playing casuals. Many of my colleagues use iPads in the pit for musicals, etc. Unfortunately, mine is an iPad mini so it'll take an upgrade to a larger one before that works for me.

The evolution of bass amps from glorified guitar amps to their more specialized incarnation with gobs of power, dedicated eq and versatile ins and outs has been interesting to live through.
DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd »

Funny the OP mentions the Vox Cambridge Reverb, I got one myself about a month ago. I use the courtesy outlet to plug in the AC adapter for my pedals.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Just saw this; I hope you're enjoying your Cambridge Reverb. Thomas solid state? I still have mine, pretty minty. It sounds great!

I learned about eqing mine when comparing it next to a drip face Princeton. I think the designer was really going for the UK Vox sound in that when the tone controls are set flat at noon, it is very mid rangy, like an original AC30 with no top boost. The MRB option doesn't do much of anything at that setting. The Fender has the scooped mid range sound and to get that on the Vox requires boosting the treble and bass. It sounds much like the Princeton at that point, great for surf, etc., and the reverb sounds fantastic. That's also when the MRB button on the footswitch becomes really wah-wah like, and the Cambridge Reverb takes on a life of it's own!

Another useful sound is using a fast tremolo rate at a low amplitude combined with reverb. It takes on a twelve string like shimmer.

I think it makes a great coffee house amp. Certainly fun jamming with friends in a mixed acoustic and electric situation.
DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd »

Kiddwad57 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:24 am Just saw this; I hope you're enjoying your Cambridge Reverb. Thomas solid state? I still have mine, pretty minty. It sounds great!

I learned about eqing mine when comparing it next to a drip face Princeton. I think the designer was really going for the UK Vox sound in that when the tone controls are set flat at noon, it is very mid rangy, like an original AC30 with no top boost. The MRB option doesn't do much of anything at that setting. The Fender has the scooped mid range sound and to get that on the Vox requires boosting the treble and bass. It sounds much like the Princeton at that point, great for surf, etc., and the reverb sounds fantastic. That's also when the MRB button on the footswitch becomes really wah-wah like, and the Cambridge Reverb takes on a life of it's own!

Another useful sound is using a fast tremolo rate at a low amplitude combined with reverb. It takes on a twelve string like shimmer.

I think it makes a great coffee house amp. Certainly fun jamming with friends in a mixed acoustic and electric situation.
I forgot to mention, mine's the tube version. I don't have the MRB feature. Comes stock with a 12AU7 as the reverb driver, I use a 12AT7 like Fender and I'm in surf heaven.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I too have a 1965 silver panel tube version and am in the process of selling the SS as a part of an ongoing "thinning the herd" project. I like the story behind the tube Cambridge, which is from the first Thomas Organ line. Thomas sent a sample to Vox U.K. who made some tweaks that were incorporated in the production models. So, an interesting transitional model before Thomas totally called the shots on their products. Thanks for the tip on that alternate preamp tube. The amp has a chunky Celestion in it and sounds great cranked with a 610!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”