I'm after a 4003 Fireglo with a small neck profile. Advice?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chev59

Re: I'm after a 4003 Fireglo with a small neck profile. Advi

Post by chev59 »

Having played this beauty every day since it arrived, I've actually sort of forgotten what my Jazz felt like! (It's a '62 and away having some repair work done). I'm glad I put in the work to find out which were the safest years to aim for. Any chunkier and I think I would have been a bit disappointed, but as it is it just feels natural in my hand. Why the hell didn't I buy one years ago?!!!

We've just been put in lockdown for another 4 weeks and the walls in my apartment are paper thin, so the wait to let her roar continues!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

lumgimfong wrote:I still think 1.5” nut and smaller headstock would make 4003’s even better!
I certainly do not agree about the nut. If you want a Jazz bass, get a Jazz. My personal preference for a Ric nut is 1 5/8", though 1 11/16" isn't a problem. I wouldn't object to a smaller headstock, though.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Agreed. I have had many Jazz Basses, and a couple other basses with 1 1/2" nut widths. They are all gone due to that neck shape.
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

henry5 wrote:I’ve never understood why people think Jazz bass necks are so slim. At the nut they are, but as you go up the neck? Not really. I’ve played hundreds of Jazzes over the past 4 decades and just don’t think of them as slim at all, but I will add I don’t spend much time on the first few frets, I play all over the neck and spend as much time up high as down low. I’m not a big fan of taper, I much prefer a neck that’s narrow all the way along, like a Ric or Alembic. Narrow string spacing at the bridge is far more important to me in terms of comfort than a narrow nut.
I wished that there was a "like" button after reading your post. So, instead, I'll hit the imaginary like button three times.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
BRcarlos

Post by BRcarlos »

For anyone else interested in neck comfort. I have a wrist injury that has limited the rotation of my left hand. I took my 87 4003S to a local violin luthier and had him shape the neck for me. 38mm at the nut. 22mm thick at the first fret. 23mm thick at the 12th fret. This is now my favorite bass and just a pleasure to play.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”