4003 Hipshot bridge .

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 4003 Hipshot bridge .

Post by jps »

His wife actually wrote it.................
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The current tailpiece is a pretty beefy design, though it may still lift a millimeter or so. The three screw C64 tailpiece is just as beefy, but just the thee screws below the bridge, it definitely lifts. As some here may know, I dislike the two screws added from 1973 on that don't fix the problem, find the five visible screws on the early 4003's overkill, and believe any amount of lift compromises the sustain and tone of the bass. My solution preference is a C64 tailpiece with the two screws added to the rear. Still only two visible screws, but they work very well.
Hawkins7

Post by Hawkins7 »

My 09 4001C64 had 1/8in. lift at the tail when I got it. I bought both alu. and brass Hip shots to try. I put the brass one on and never looked back. Long sustain and just a bit mellower
over all...very full sound but it is heavier, you will notice this right away when it's on the gtr. But this makes my Rick sit very nice with the strap.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hawkins7 wrote:My 09 4001C64 had 1/8in. lift at the tail when I got it. I bought both alu. and brass Hip shots to try. I put the brass one on and never looked back. Long sustain and just a bit mellower
over all...very full sound but it is heavier, you will notice this right away when it's on the gtr. But this makes my Rick sit very nice with the strap.
It also looks better than having these at the butt of the bass.
Attachments
Diving Weights.jpg
Hawkins7

Post by Hawkins7 »

Jeff, Perhaps we could just attach the diving belt to the tail strap post and let it hang...a very cool look....
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Can you get the weights in festive colors?
Hawkins7

Post by Hawkins7 »

Why not...Powdercoat them Autumglow!
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

Gilmourisgod wrote:... Regarding brass vs. aluminum, I would have thought the brass would enhance sustain better, any feedback on that from someone who's tried both? Does the chrome finish hold up on these bridges?
...tried the brass first: longer sustain, more brilliance in tone and deeper bass( somewhat hifi) more weight. The alu: still longer sustain than the original RIC bridge/tailpiece, enhanced mid growl, about same weight than the original one. The chrome on the hipshot is solid and lasts except for the area under the string screws, there it is a bit thin, but as the strings run there too, one doesn't see it cosmetically.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I installed a set of Hipshot Ultralites on my bass. Neck dive cured.
vulcan_creedler

Post by vulcan_creedler »

I had an aluminium Hipshot.

It rattled like hell, and then eventually, the steel screws corroded in situ. nothing like sweat, steel and aluminium to set up corrosion! One saddle was totally beyond redemption, but Jason at Hipshot sent me a replacement, no questions asked. Excellent after market service, and customer support.

In hindsight, I should have got the brass version, but i've gone back to stock bridges. Sustain isn't to much of an issue, since I use HB1s in the bridge position on both my 4003 basses, and the HB1s more than compensate for perceived drop-off in sustain.

As for adjustment, well - I don't change my string gauge, so they get set up once, and that's it. I did replace the height posts with stainless steel ones, and likewise, have replaced the intonation screws with button head hex screws.

VC
"Infamy, Infamy, They've all got it in for me" - Kenneth Williams

1988 JG 4003
grogic

Post by grogic »

heinpete wrote:
Gilmourisgod wrote:... Regarding brass vs. aluminum, I would have thought the brass would enhance sustain better, any feedback on that from someone who's tried both? Does the chrome finish hold up on these bridges?
...tried the brass first: longer sustain, more brilliance in tone and deeper bass( somewhat hifi) more weight. The alu: still longer sustain than the original RIC bridge/tailpiece, enhanced mid growl, about same weight than the original one. The chrome on the hipshot is solid and lasts except for the area under the string screws, there it is a bit thin, but as the strings run there too, one doesn't see it cosmetically.
So which one did you ultimately prefer?

I'm thinking about swapping out for the Hipshot, but don't want to monkey with the tone too much.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I gained a lot of respect for the original bridge after a failed experiment with the Hipshot. The stock 4003 bridge is a bit idiosyncratic but once it's set up the way you like it is solid and dependable.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Earlier this year i bought a 2nd 4000 that was already fitted with an aluminum hipshot. So,this makes 2 basses i have with them installed. They both perform flawlessly,no rattles,etc.
I've changed strings pretty often,and it's a lot easier to do now,to make the small adjustments needed.
I also appreciate the space gained by not having the mute assembly/screws ready to attack my flailing fingers.... 8)
Boogie

Post by Boogie »

Does the Hipshot bridge allow for palm muting? The stock 4003 bridge does not look like it facilitates palm muting.

What about Leo Quan's Badass bridge? I had played a J-bass with a Badass bridge and it was well built and sounded great. Perhaps they don't make one for Rickenbacker?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Leo Quan has been assimilatied into the FMIC monster.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”