Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Post by sloop_john_b »

Pretty rad. 8)

Oh, and take a look at that bridge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwft00JngWE/
bassduke49

Re: Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Post by bassduke49 »

Wow! Two covered faux horseshoe pickups? That's going to drive people nuts. And green shark-fin markers with no binding. I dunno . . . . :?
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

That bridge!
Me want one! I bet Ric could sell several thousands of those very fast!
The bass is interesting too. I like, but not with the green markers, not my taste.
Hopefully Ric will make those bridges available as a part soon!
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

turlu wrote:That bridge!
Me want one! I bet Ric could sell several thousands of those very fast!
The bass is interesting too. I like, but not with the green markers, not my taste.
Hopefully Ric will make those bridges available as a part soon!
It's a lot more restrained than his old bass:

bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

I can't discern any particular details on that bridge unit to get excited about...
Do y'all have access to a larger/hi-res image that I'm not aware of?
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

bigbajo60 wrote:I can't discern any particular details on that bridge unit to get excited about...
Do y'all have access to a larger/hi-res image that I'm not aware of?
Individual adjustable saddle height.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

Okay...
Now I saw where I could click forward to the additional pics beyond the initial image.
Interesting incorporation of more trad saddle design into the iconic tailpiece!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Nifty in a lot of ways! That's 4002 pickup spacing, right?

Like the bridge design -- would like it even more sans-mute (or at least sans-teeth).

If you're into heavy riffage like Al, I kind of get the pickup covers. When you dig in a lot, it's possible to "whack" the pole pieces or bobbin hard enough to get an audible clack sound that can be a bit unpleasant. However, I'd find two of them pretty tough to navigate. It almost feels like it's just a middle finger to the haters!

Edit: Just noticed the thumb rest right by neck. Brilliant - that's a tonal sweet spot for fingerstyle.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

Love the look of the bridge! While I don't think I could play it, it's perfect for how Al plays. The guard looks a little small to me but I like the idea... although I guess there is no body side access to truss rods as a downside. I was hoping the 3 highgain 4004 was going to be 'the Al model', but either way, with his love of RIC basses over the years, I'm glad he's got a signature model. :mrgreen: Happy 4-20. :mrgreen:
rickenbastard

Post by rickenbastard »

I've been drooling over this. Anyone have insight as to where/when available? Will definitely doneverything I have to so I can get one
September 1978 4001 JG (Jeff Goldblum)
May 2014 4003W (Walter Sobchak)
December 1995 4003 MG (Bass of Spades)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Not for me.
"Knowledge is Power"
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

Looks like it's a Chicago music exchange limited run, at least that's how I'm read this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwfuLxCnCL_/

cmebassment
Soon. Stay tuned for details...
#Repost @rickenbacker_intl_corp
・・・
Follow the smoke to the riff filled land.. Introducing the Al Cisneros Limited Edition 4003AC. More info to follow. #rickenbacker #alcisneros #sleepband #OM #ric #4003 #4003AC #420

Not for everyone, me included, but it's looks to be perfect for his playing style. I like the will to do something completely different
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Anybody know if that's the new standard 4003 bridge, or just a teaser for this limited run? Hard to believe they'd go to all the trouble of new design and casting if that wasn't going to be the new version. I fervently hope so, it's the single most common gripe, and this version retains the classic look. You still won't be able to palm-mute behind the bridge pup, but I think its a decent tradeoff for easily adjustable intonation and string spacing. Hopefully they beefed up the casting thickness while they were at it.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

thisismusicinc wrote:I like the will to do something completely different
This. 8)
Gilmourisgod wrote:Anybody know if that's the new standard 4003 bridge, or just a teaser for this limited run? Hard to believe they'd go to all the trouble of new design and casting if that wasn't going to be the new version. I fervently hope so, it's the single most common gripe, and this version retains the classic look. You still won't be able to palm-mute behind the bridge pup, but I think its a decent tradeoff for easily adjustable intonation and string spacing. Hopefully they beefed up the casting thickness while they were at it.
Casting it for a limited run only does seem odd, but who knows.

If the "teeth" could even just be lowered a sukosh and the adjustment knobs replaced with something lower profile, it would probably allow facile palm muting on most Rics. I can already palm mute the E, A and D strings pretty well on my 4003S with the stock bridge. It's just the G string that's tricky. However, on a fretless Ric it's a different story - have the bring the saddles down quite a bit more without the frets, and this makes palm muting near impossible.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

We do a LOT of casting where I work, aluminium, stainless steel and even plastic. Moulds are quite expensive and really don't make sense for small runs.

CNC machining is a viable option for small runs. The per-part cost is higher, but you don't have to amortize the cost of the moulds.

Of course these days there's also 3D printing...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”