Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Re: Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Post by Isaac »

The reason I ask is that my daughter, who has more of an artist's eye than I, thinks it might look good if the pick guard and TRC matched the inlays. Can the pearloid stuff be obtained and, if it can, can a pick guard be made from it?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

There is a member here who had a pickguard made at one point to match the inlays, and I believe it was this material from Pickguardian:

https://www.pickguardian.com/options/ma ... #mg_ld_193
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Isaac wrote:The reason I ask is that my daughter, who has more of an artist's eye than I, thinks it might look good if the pick guard and TRC matched the inlays. Can the pearloid stuff be obtained and, if it can, can a pick guard be made from it?
Isaac: Give Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian a try. He does top shelf work and is of rock solid integrity. The best way to get the right fit is to mail him your plastic and he'll duplicate it in whatever material you choose. Scroll down and check out the Green Pearloid here: https://www.pickguardian.com/options/materials/#mg.

Tony has made several guards for me and I've always been very pleased. I know that shipping your plastic to him isn't probably putting a smile on your face, but I've done it with several basses and it always works out fine. I don't think he can duplicate the Rickenbacker name on the TRC, however.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

My current plan is to try to do it myself. I'll see how that goes.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Another happy Pickgaurdian customer here. I don't know your tool and skill level, but working with pickgaurds can be challenging.
For the money it's an easy choice for me.

Dirk
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Dirk wrote:Another happy Pickgaurdian customer here. I don't know your tool and skill level, but working with pickgaurds can be challenging.
For the money it's an easy choice for me.

Dirk
It seems as though it ought to be fairly simple. What am I missing? What kind of challenges would I be facing that I apparently haven't thought of?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Well let's see, getting the proper material, cutting the shape, drilling the holes exactly, and beveling the edges is challenging.

So you need a bandsaw for the rough cutout.
Drill press to drill your screw holes.
Laminate trimmer or router with a proper bit for cutout and or edge beveling.
Lots of slow careful sanding so consider a spindle sander, you could use that to bevel perhaps.

Now I'm not saying all the tasks couldn't be done with hand tools, it can but will take a good while.
A sanding block will help if you have the patience to do it manually.

I know it sounds like it should be simple, it's surprising how it's not.

Good luck,
Dirk
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thanks. I expect that it will take some time, but I'm retired, and time is my greatest asset!

I don't have any of those tools, but I know a guy who does.

And anyway: “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Well there you go, the worst case scenario is you don't use what you made and you contact Pickguardian. :)

Take your time, and ask your friend with the tools for advice. A nice sanding block can help with the edge beveling.
Dirk
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

So, what does the 4003AC sound like in the mix?

Glad you asked!

Here I am, playing a virtual concert with The Deep Woods Band at the Whiteside Theater. FOH sound is direct from a Digitech BP355 set for clean with compression.

https://youtu.be/HNkMXSiaIto?t=876
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

As mentioned elsewhere, playing this kind of music on a 4003AC invalidates your warrantee. :mrgreen:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Well, I bought it second-hand, anyway!
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

aceonbass wrote:
Korladis wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Because there is already so much distortion in his bass playing that it kills any tone the bass may have.
Completely disagree. Rickenbackers don't sound the same as other basses with distortion. They sound much better. Do you think that guitarists shouldn't play with distortion, either?
I like distortion on bass. Muse's Hysteria comes to mind. But all of the time? Nope.
I play my Rickenbacker basses into overdriven tube amps. They are distorted all the time. I switch to the quieter toaster neck pickup if I want a "cleanish" sound.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Korladis wrote:
aceonbass wrote:
Korladis wrote: I play my Rickenbacker basses into overdriven tube amps. They are distorted all the time. I switch to the quieter toaster neck pickup if I want a "cleanish" sound.
It’s funny, the toasters on my vintage basses are noticeably louder than the bridge pickups (and no, it’s not a cap issue). I always find it weird playing newer basses when the bridge pickup is louder.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”