Babicz FCH Rickenbacker Bass Bridge

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Lightyear

Re: Babicz FCH Rickenbacker Bass Bridge

Post by Lightyear »

Benjamin wrote:I just took a look at Babicz website and I can't actually knock the concept. I am sure it is a viable alternative, but I don't get it.

In context of my 4003 (y2k build) there are a few things that irk me. I am still running a standard bridge, which has a little bit of tail lift, but I can still get the action I want. Not long after I purchased it, I installed a new set of saddles and filed these myself, because either the factory didn't do a perfect job on string spacing, or the previous owner messed it up.

A little bit of treble pickup reassembly and new saddle slots had her lined up perfectly. I think we all know just how far out these things can be from factory, or previous mods, or age.

So I look at the Babicz and think, what?

1. No orthogonal (sideways) adjustment? We would have to assume this bridge has the perfect spacing already. What if it doesn't? My other main bass has a Hipshot B I think, which has sideways saddle barrel adjustment. Now that's a bridge!

2. Adjusting intonation requires loosening the side grub screws which are effectively JAMMING ALL THE SADDLES TOGETHER, relying purely on friction/interference to stop them from moving?!?!

Is this how it works? In that case, if I loosen the grubs, then I risk other saddles moving accidentally, or completely out of whack. What if I am clumsy and bump the bass, or tilt it while adjusting, does it have to lay absolutely flat?

So I can't play, tweak, play etc to adjust intonation based on an average of my playing heaviness to ensure it is right across the board?

If my tail lifts any more, I would probably go a V2. Honestly I don't have a problem with V1, except maybe the saddle block tilting, but I find that actually helpful - moving it a string winding or two as weather and conditions dictate, to fine tune intonation. It ain't hard to get the little screwdriver out to quickly tweak an individual string.

All that said, I never had a problem with Gibson/Epiphone 3-Point Tune-O-Matic bridges either, once you do a little fine tuning.

Am I missing something?

The one I already have on my P-Bass saw a lot of live action and I never ever had an issue. In my opinion, it stays rock solid in the most positive way. That plus the sustain increase is the main reason why I will buy one.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

There.s a 3 part video on YouTube showing the bridge fitting, intonation etc...

Nice!!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Lightyear wrote:
Benjamin wrote:The one I already have on my P-Bass saw a lot of live action and I never ever had an issue. In my opinion, it stays rock solid in the most positive way. That plus the sustain increase is the main reason why I will buy one.
Ricks never had a problem in the sustain department, IME, unlike P-Basses, again, IME.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Lightyear wrote:The one I already have on my P-Bass saw a lot of live action and I never ever had an issue. In my opinion, it stays rock solid in the most positive way. That plus the sustain increase is the main reason why I will buy one.
8)
Lightyear

Post by Lightyear »

Benjamin wrote: Ricks never had a problem in the sustain department, IME, unlike P-Basses, again, IME.
Oh I never said there are issues with my Rick, sorry for any misunderstandings. I don't know if I already mentioned it, but I will bring my 4003w in to the shop anyway, since mine came over the pond and it still needs some trussrod adjustments, which am not willing to do by myself. on my fenders I'll do it any second, but I already have seen too much of bad trussrod maintenance and popped fingerboards, so I'll bring it in to a pro. and i'll use the moment and let them install the bridge. as I said, I have one on my workhorse, have been very happy with it and hope it will be just an upgrade, nothing else. Worstcase: I will swap it back with the original.

P-Bass and sustain? There are some and some.. had both. almost "numb" ones and some which just won't stop ringing.. :)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

C'mon guys, we have choices now. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but its a choice. :roll:
"Knowledge is Power"
ram

Post by ram »

cheyenne wrote:C'mon guys, we have choices now. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but its a choice. :roll:
I am a firm believer in it's your bass, do what you want to do. Viva La difference!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Lightyear wrote:
Benjamin wrote: Ricks never had a problem in the sustain department, IME, unlike P-Basses, again, IME.
Oh I never said there are issues with my Rick, sorry for any misunderstandings. I don't know if I already mentioned it, but I will bring my 4003w in to the shop anyway, since mine came over the pond and it still needs some trussrod adjustments, which am not willing to do by myself. on my fenders I'll do it any second, but I already have seen too much of bad trussrod maintenance and popped fingerboards, so I'll bring it in to a pro. and i'll use the moment and let them install the bridge. as I said, I have one on my workhorse, have been very happy with it and hope it will be just an upgrade, nothing else. Worstcase: I will swap it back with the original.

P-Bass and sustain? There are some and some.. had both. almost "numb" ones and some which just won't stop ringing.. :)
Errrr, I don't recall saying that. Is this a misquote error?

*reads thread* turns out I didn't :D
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

Benjamin wrote:I just took a look at Babicz website and I can't actually knock the concept. I am sure it is a viable alternative, but I don't get it.

In context of my 4003 (y2k build) there are a few things that irk me. I am still running a standard bridge, which has a little bit of tail lift, but I can still get the action I want. Not long after I purchased it, I installed a new set of saddles and filed these myself, because either the factory didn't do a perfect job on string spacing, or the previous owner messed it up.

A little bit of treble pickup reassembly and new saddle slots had her lined up perfectly. I think we all know just how far out these things can be from factory, or previous mods, or age.

So I look at the Babicz and think, what?

1. No orthogonal (sideways) adjustment? We would have to assume this bridge has the perfect spacing already. What if it doesn't? My other main bass has a Hipshot B I think, which has sideways saddle barrel adjustment. Now that's a bridge!

2. Adjusting intonation requires loosening the side grub screws which are effectively JAMMING ALL THE SADDLES TOGETHER, relying purely on friction/interference to stop them from moving?!?!

Is this how it works? In that case, if I loosen the grubs, then I risk other saddles moving accidentally, or completely out of whack. What if I am clumsy and bump the bass, or tilt it while adjusting, does it have to lay absolutely flat?

So I can't play, tweak, play etc to adjust intonation based on an average of my playing heaviness to ensure it is right across the board?

If my tail lifts any more, I would probably go a V2. Honestly I don't have a problem with V1, except maybe the saddle block tilting, but I find that actually helpful - moving it a string winding or two as weather and conditions dictate, to fine tune intonation. It ain't hard to get the little screwdriver out to quickly tweak an individual string.

All that said, I never had a problem with Gibson/Epiphone 3-Point Tune-O-Matic bridges either, once you do a little fine tuning.

Am I missing something?
What do you mean by "grubs"?
espidog

Post by espidog »

Benjamin is referring to the grub screws that adjust the saddles. Small headless screws (bolts, really), sometimes also known as "set screws" or "blind screws".
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

espidog wrote:Benjamin is referring to the grub screws that adjust the saddles. Small headless screws (bolts, really), sometimes also known as "set screws" or "blind screws".
I've never heard this term "grub screws" before. It just means set screws?
Lightyear

Post by Lightyear »

Benjamin wrote: Errrr, I don't recall saying that. Is this a misquote error?

*reads thread* turns out I didn't :D
Yupp, bad editing. sorry! :)
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Post by marcinkus »

Lack of an orthogonal adjustement is the biggest problem :roll:
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

espidog

Post by espidog »

Korladis wrote:
espidog wrote:Benjamin is referring to the grub screws that adjust the saddles. Small headless screws (bolts, really), sometimes also known as "set screws" or "blind screws".
I've never heard this term "grub screws" before. It just means set screws?
Yes.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”