Re: NGD 4003 Montezuma Amberglo

Post by basmansam »

Looks like John can get his V68 now!!
Beatiful bass, congrats!!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

teeder wrote:That's the nicest looking bass Rick's put out in a long time!
I'd say arguably since the start of '73. :wink:
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

That's among the nicest Rics I've ever seen. If the mono output bugs you, Dane Wilder can make you a harness with Ric-O-Sound that will output through a single jack. I don't know if it would require any filing of the existing hole to fit, those stereo jacks are a tight fit in a 3/4-7/8" hole, but a lot better than drilling a second hole and trying to find a double jack plate on e-bay. On the other hand, unless you really plan on using a bi-amp setup and running ROS day to day, just rock it as-is. Truthfully, how many people actually use the ROS? I suppose it's more likely now that you could be using 2 D class amps that weigh nothing, but you'd still be lugging two speaker setups.
ram

Post by ram »

I think he (Dane) made one for someone where the same jack hole could be stereo or mono. Tlak to the man. He knows what he is doing and has good ideas!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

I’d love one of these, but even assuming one was available and they’d ship overseas, adding 25% in duty and shipping starts to make this pretty pricey.
TTA

Post by TTA »

I just bought one of these. Pretty excited as it checks off all my favourite features.

Mono jack. Just learned this now. Not a deal breaker as lots of other bases run fine mono… but i do run a biamp setup, so it is too bad. Mind you modern effects pedals including my darkglass adam split signals to dirty/clean and i can dual output each. Single truss rod is interesting also. I think these instruments are test beds for future design directions.

But to my main point. Look at the close up photo of the large horn… mainly the checkerboard binding. Photos of mine look similar around the small horn. Are we looking at part of the white binding oversprayed (and not fully scraped back with a razor before finish coat)… or are the black blacks painted on? I know that seems crazy but look how the black blocks seem to “bleed” out in places. I need to see mine in person (one week it should arrive).
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

ram wrote:I think he (Dane) made one for someone where the same jack hole could be stereo or mono. Tlak to the man. He knows what he is doing and has good ideas!
The extra wiring involved with Rick-O-Sound isn't taking away any "guts or punch". However, for those that want that feature on a bass with mono output, I do build a harness with a switcable mono/stereo output activated by a push-pull pot on the bridge pickup volume control.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Congrats!! That is a beautiful and I am sure it is a fantastic sounding bass!!

For what it is worth, I redid my 4003 harness and ditched the ROS to boot. I mean I would never use it anyway.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Is it a one, two, or a three piece neck?
My 2016 is a 3 piecer/5 with headstock wings.
TTA

Post by TTA »

aceonbass wrote:
ram wrote:I think he (Dane) made one for someone where the same jack hole could be stereo or mono. Tlak to the man. He knows what he is doing and has good ideas!
The extra wiring involved with Rick-O-Sound isn't taking away any "guts or punch". However, for those that want that feature on a bass with mono output, I do build a harness with a switcable mono/stereo output activated by a push-pull pot on the bridge pickup volume control.

I may need this for my bass. How much?
TTA

Post by TTA »

lumgimfong wrote:Is it a one, two, or a three piece neck?
My 2016 is a 3 piecer/5 with headstock wings.

I can tell you next week, but typical current 4003’s are two piece
Last edited by TTA on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TTA

Post by TTA »

2 piece
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Three piece? Is there a central strip? Or are you counting the fingerboard as a third piece? As far as I know, recent Rick neck-throughs have been two pieces joined in the middle.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

My bad. 2piece/4 with walnut wings
teeder

Post by teeder »

I wish I would have ordered one of these.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”