The hated Tuxedo rocks!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Happyface

The hated Tuxedo rocks!

Post by Happyface »

I know that the majority of you hate how I restored this bass.

Nanananana - it is a thing of both sonic & visual beauty, especially when played through my Versatone.
Attachments
Rick 03.jpg
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: The hated Tuxedo rocks!

Post by jps »

You need to do some kind of painting on the headstock to finish it off. :D

Your designs make the too fat horns (to, me) more palatable.
ram

Post by ram »

I actually like it. agree with Jeff, headstock seems to be needing 'something'. Also the space between the tail piece and the pickguard (knob section) might have some small stars on a rainbow ribbon.... but that's just me. what strings are you running on your bass?
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

Thanks gents. Maybe a more colorful truss rod cover?

It is strung with the standard Rickenbacker brand strings.

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Happyface wrote:Thanks gents. Maybe a more colorful truss rod cover?
I was thinking more along the lines of this:

:mrgreen:
espidog

Post by espidog »

I don't hate it! Well, not much... I can stand everything except the white fretboard. :mrgreen:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

I don't hate it, either. Part of owning an instrument is to have fun with it, right? :)

Bet there's room for another little shooting star on the end of the peghead, from the bottom to the curl of the "wave".
espidog

Post by espidog »

Loving that studio space, BTW. Those old plank walls... 8)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I'll confess, I hate it... :D . But I love that it's unique, you've made it yours, and that you're super happy with it. Something for everyone, haters like me be damned!
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I like it. There's room in the Rickenbacker universe for fun finishes like that.

If I could afford another or two, I wouldn't mind finishing one out of the norm.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
songdog

Post by songdog »

Happyface wrote:I know that the majority of you hate how I restored this bass.
As has often happened in my life, I find myself in the minority. I love it! Agree it wants a star or two on the headstock, though.

Once I tore my eyes away from the bass, I noticed your Versatone. I bet the Tuxedo sounds awesome through that! (Mind if I drop by and try my Epiphone Jack Casady through it?) It looks like you might be using the Rick-O-Sound jack, if so, which pickup goes to the Versatone and what happens to the other one?
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

songdog wrote:It looks like you might be using the Rick-O-Sound jack, if so, which pickup goes to the Versatone and what happens to the other one?
IIRC, there is no ROS on a Tux given it is based on a S model that does not normally have ROS.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Happyface wrote:I know that the majority of you hate how I restored this bass.

Nanananana - it is a thing of both sonic & visual beauty, especially when played through my Versatone.
Nice work Derek!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

Thanks everyone. Behind the makeup, it's a really nice playing bass. One of the best, for me.

Doc Scott is right - no RicoSound. Just as well for me because I get confuzzled enough with one cord.

Playing through the Versatone: I normally just use it with my Guild. In the past I just DI'd any Rick when at that studio. Before that, I loved to pair more "modern" amps with a Rick. My favorite was a Trace 350SMX.

But last Friday I had played a couple of songs that suited the Guild. But the last song was a hard rocker, but punky. Rick time. As I loaded it on, the engineer asked "why don't you play through the Versatone? It's already set up."

The tone matched the song really well. Better than from a more transparent amp. There was a really cool punchy drive to it when I dug in but just nice when I laid off.

I was surprised how good it sounded. well, to me, anyway.

Happyface

Post by Happyface »

Sorry for the thread resurrection. But I was looking for this photo after a PC change and knew it was here.

That's my sorta-rare two speaker version Versatone. Thus the two mics on the cab. It sounds amazing.

I leave it at a local recording studio for them to carefully use. Based on the notion that an amp as cool as that should be used by others besides me. The head engineer loves it and uses it a lot for both bass and guitar.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”