Limited Editions?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

GregNouveau

Limited Editions?

Post by GregNouveau »

I was wondering about the limited edition runs of various basses / guitars?

As far as I'm aware, they are commissioned by the dealers for their particular territory?

I know that, for instance, there have been runs of British Racing green, Noir, and Candy Apple Green and Candy Apple Purple, for the UK, Japan and US markets, respectively.

Would it then be possible for a group of individuals to club together and commission their own custom build, or is it solely for dealers?

It does seem to be a bit of a "thing" these days: there are new Limited runs being released all the time, it seems...?

I really liked the Candy Apple Green 4003's, but they were a USA-only thing, I think? And I only found out about them after the fact, too...! :-(

(Not sure if Andy Babiuk would ship to the UK, either..?)
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Limited Editions?

Post by jdogric12 »

GregNouveau wrote:Would it then be possible for a group of individuals to club together and commission their own custom build, or is it solely for dealers?

It does seem to be a bit of a "thing" these days: there are new Limited runs being released all the time, it seems...?
I think you're right, I've noticed that too. Still more rare than COY"s, I suppose, if you want to look on the bright side. Elect a "club president" and just talk to your favorite small dealer. You might be surprised.
GregNouveau wrote:I really liked the Candy Apple Green 4003's, but they were a USA-only thing, I think? And I only found out about them after the fact, too...! :-(

Just get a friend in the US to ship. A US dealer is not allowed to sell outside the US.
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

jdogric12 wrote:
GregNouveau wrote:Would it then be possible for a group of individuals to club together and commission their own custom build, or is it solely for dealers?

I think you're right, I've noticed that too. Still more rare than COY"s, I suppose, if you want to look on the bright side. Elect a "club president" and just talk to your favorite small dealer. You might be surprised.
GregNouveau wrote:I really liked the Candy Apple Green 4003's, but they were a USA-only thing, I think? And I only found out about them after the fact, too...! :-(

Just get a friend in the US to ship. A US dealer is not allowed to sell outside the US.

Yeh, I reckon the "friend in the US" route is the only option, really?

Regarding the "small dealer" thing, I have already started a ball rolling...... :D :wink:
Designer, Engineer, Music Producer, a little obsessive about music for my own good! It's certainly kept me poor!
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Here are two I know of.
Attachments
2019 - 25 CB Snowglo with Toaster for Fab Gear
2019 - 25 CB Snowglo with Toaster for Fab Gear
2020 - 25 CB satin Mapleglo  for Sweetwater
2020 - 25 CB satin Mapleglo for Sweetwater
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

ricosound wrote:Here are two I know of.
Nice!

There was a nice Snowglo edition for Japan, too, alongside the Noir, iirc...?

I think the chequered binding is a great finishing touch: really sets things off nicely....? :D
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I'm pretty sure that these runs are arranged between select dealers and RIC, and there are probably set minimums and prices. I think the dealers that do this are well established and they have reliable order/sales records with RIC. If you have a project in mind and can get enough folks to go along, and if those folks have money in hand, you can approach these major dealers to see if they can make it happen. You may be able to get features/colors you want, but the price/cost will be up to RIC and the dealer.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

I was thinking along those lines...obviously the bottom line will dictate things in the end.

I'd like the edition to be available on both sides of the pond: I'm thinking that could be an issue...unless 2 dealers are involved...? :?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

If you keep your ear to the ground and your eyes open, the limited runs arent that hard to find. You just have to have the money, and be ready to put it down when you find one.
"Knowledge is Power"
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I picked up one of the 3 4003 Satin MG Checkerbound basses a few months ago from Sweetwater. I swapped out the white plastic for black, the hi-gains for HB1's, and rewired it. Best bass I've ever owned, and ZERO defects!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

aceonbass wrote:Best bass I've ever owned, and ZERO defects!
Right? The CMB is fantastic too. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of what they're cranking out lately. not like I thought they were bad, these are just exceptionally good.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

aceonbass wrote:
I picked up one of the 3 4003 Satin MG Checkerbound basses a few months ago from Sweetwater. I swapped out the white plastic for black, the hi-gains for HB1's, and rewired it. Best bass I've ever owned, and ZERO defects!
Ah, don’t say that! I’ve been looking at those and trying not to give in and get one as I can’t really justify the cost at the moment. Although obviously I’d have to have it shipped to someone in the States if I did get one, for them to send on.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

GregNouveau wrote:I was thinking along those lines...obviously the bottom line will dictate things in the end.

I'd like the edition to be available on both sides of the pond: I'm thinking that could be an issue...unless 2 dealers are involved...? :?
What are you thinking of?

I’m UK too; I loved the candy Purple ones.

Wish I’d bought a BRG when they were out. I had a trip planned with my dad to pick a used one up at that time whilst visiting the place I was born (which was nearby), but then he got too ill to go and it all fell through. :(
GregNouveau

Post by GregNouveau »

henry5 wrote:What are you thinking of?

Not saying TOO much, but 4005-related....! ;-)
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Ah, that’s a shame. I like the look of the 4005 but I didn’t really get on with the only one I’ve played, and the new short scale, although it looks very nice, doesn’t really interest me.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

aceonbass wrote:
...or full coverage guard, plexi TRC, Toaster/reissue Horseshoe!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1612149542711.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”