Bringing life back to 70s neck inlays?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Stablemate

Bringing life back to 70s neck inlays?

Post by Stablemate »

I have a 1975 4001 with (mother of pearl?) shark fin inlays that have turned yellowish brown over the years.

I was curious if the inlays can be cleaned or the surface lightly buffed to bring about a brighter appearance? Figured the color might be that way throughout, and I should maybe leave as is.

Also trying to figure out how much modding has been done to this, previous to my purchase.

A former owner took the heavy gloss finish off the fretboard it seems, looks more satin now? I'm guessing there are no advantages to the gloss other than extra protection and looks? It plays and sounds fine as is.

Not sure if truss rod cover is original or a replacement. It's plexiglass with print on the bottom. Would that be era accurate, or did '75 4001 basses come with raised logo plastic covers?

What material was the nut made of during this era?
clasbas

Re: Bringing life back to 70s neck inlays?

Post by clasbas »

While I do not think it will answer all your questions, the link collection in the link below might still be a great read for anyone interested in the materials involved in Rickenbacker basses. It is a series called "Anatomy of a Rickenbacker bass" and was compiled by Ted Staberow some years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=388361&p=533094&hil ... ks#p533094
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
ram

Post by ram »

That was/is a GREAT series!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The inlays, themselves, aren't yellowed, it's what's left of the top coat that is yellowed. If you were to remove all the finish off the fingerboard the inlays will look as they did when new.

The TRC is correct for that vintage and finish of your bass, and is most likely the original one.
Last edited by jps on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collin

Post by collin »

It's a vintage bass, Paul.

That discoloration is what people call 'patina' and is the natural side effect of an instrument that's nearly 50 years old.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Enjoy the natural aging process. People pay big $$ for Fender to make guitars that look like that. The white on your 4001 is no longer white either. Enjoy the natural aging process and know that it adds value as long as the instrument wasn't abused. The inlays on my '73 4001 look darker than on yours, but that's ok with me. It still rocks and will for a long time to come. 8)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Dont mess with it!!! It looks just like it should!
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Remember how green Les Paul Classic inlays used to be, out of the box? Yours still look better than that. 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”