V68 (ish)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ricosound
Intermediate Member

V68 (ish)

Post by ricosound »

I recently purchased my first ever "new" guitar from Sweetwater a 2020 satin Mapleglo 4003 CB. After seeing what RIC is putting out lately, I couldn't resist. Here is a pic with my 2012 Fireglo on case opening day...wait for it.
Attachments
both small.jpg
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Re: V68 (ish)

Post by ricosound »

...and here it is under the knife with 0 hours
Attachments
repair.jpg
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

TA DA! closest I can come to the mythical V68. Of course the thin horns and V2 bridge are wrong and the Lucite TRC is shorter than correct for the period. However 68 being a transitional year had various combinations of Horseshoe/Hi-gain, square/sculpted surround, and Jazz/silver knobs. I might have used the V63 surround but it would have meant drilling holes in a new $2K bass! I have seen them either way so I am good with it like this. It actually looks better proportioned with the full coverage 1" spaced guard (thanks Tony @ Pickguardian!). I never cared for the rounded corner of the V63 surround against the smaller pickguard radius.
Anyways it's just an homage, not a recreation.
Attachments
trc2.jpg
mods2.jpg
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Very nice.
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looks great, Wes!

Now, you have to do the 1/2" toaster relocation. :wink:
4003JPSVP_1200_7114.jpg
Sadly, no CB on this one, but the body and horns are the right proportion. :)

Besides the pickguard that matches the inlay material, Tony had made a standard white material PG for me, too.

And, that's a rebuilt early '60s magnetic HS PU. :D Sounded amazing (I had installed on my old 4001V63; it is currently on my old March '73 4001).
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

So they featured the Toaster on this special? Neat!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

bassduke49 wrote:So they featured the Toaster on this special? Neat!
NO the Toaster and Horseshoe were my add. I didn't put Toaster @ 1/2" cuz I just couldn't route a brand new bass quite yet. I may in the future!
Attachments
Here's how it came stock
Here's how it came stock
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

jps wrote:Looks great, Wes!

Now, you have to do the 1/2" toaster relocation. :wink:

Sadly, no CB on this one, but the body and horns are the right proportion. :)

Besides the pickguard that matches the inlay material, Tony had made a standard white material PG for me, too.

And, that's a rebuilt early '60s magnetic HS PU. :D Sounded amazing (I had installed on my old 4001V63; it is currently on my old March '73 4001).
So Jeff what year is the Jetglo that you have wide swirl (not pearl) inlays but fat horns? Seems RIC changed the treble bout to meet the neck at the end of the fretboard in mid-2000's, but this would coincide with reintroduction of full width inlays? Seems yours comes in closer to the 20th fret, which seems to pre-date modern wide inlays.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ricosound wrote:So Jeff what year is the Jetglo that you have wide swirl (not pearl) inlays but fat horns? Seems RIC changed the treble bout to meet the neck at the end of the fretboard in mid-2000's, but this would coincide with reintroduction of full width inlays? Seems yours comes in closer to the 20th fret, which seems to pre-date modern wide inlays.
That JG 4003 was made in May '08. The horns are not fat, it's the later, current horns that are skinny. :wink: Those horns match those on the two '73 4001s I had, as does the edge of the body where it meets the fingerboard. Perhaps, the thinner non-CB binding is what makes them look fat, to you. Compare them to the, truly, fat horn era basses and you will see that. The FWIs are stock, too, it's from around the timeframe that RIC reintroduced the FWIs.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

jps wrote:
ricosound wrote:So Jeff what year is the Jetglo that you have wide swirl (not pearl) inlays but fat horns? Seems RIC changed the treble bout to meet the neck at the end of the fretboard in mid-2000's, but this would coincide with reintroduction of full width inlays? Seems yours comes in closer to the 20th fret, which seems to pre-date modern wide inlays.
That JG 4003 was made in May '08. The horns are not fat, it's the later, current horns that are skinny. :wink: Those horns match those on the two '73 4001s I had, as does the edge of the body where it meets the fingerboard. Perhaps, the thinner non-CB binding is what makes them look fat, to you. Compare them to the, truly, fat horn era basses and you will see that. The FWIs are stock, too, it's from around the timeframe that RIC reintroduced the FWIs.
Yes there is an evolution of fattness. True fat horns in the 80's gave way to the slimmer better proportioned style in the 90-00's. However the current 2020 offerings are really slim. The solid binding is right at the edge of the pickguard and the checker binding which requires a deeper channel, actually obscures the last several "checks". Also of note if it has not been discussed elsewhere is that RIC (4003 anyways) have gone to a single truss rod!
Attachments
2020 4003 truss rod
2020 4003 truss rod
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ricosound wrote:...of note if it has not been discussed elsewhere is that RIC (4003 anyways) have gone to a single truss rod!
Not all of them yet, AFAIK.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

jps wrote:
ricosound wrote:...of note if it has not been discussed elsewhere is that RIC (4003 anyways) have gone to a single truss rod!
Attached picture was my 4003 as received 2 weeks ago, built 35th week (Aug 24-30) 2020.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ricosound wrote:
jps wrote:
Attached picture was my 4003 as received 2 weeks ago, built 35th week (Aug 24-30) 2020.
Do the stock models (no special retailer orders, etc.) now have single truss rod?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Also, can the new single rods be replaced if broken like the previous ones?
"Knowledge is Power"
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Nice work. Does your bass have the push/pull knob for the cap?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”