Another '74 red dot question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ricosound
Intermediate Member

Another '74 red dot question

Post by ricosound »

DO most or all 1974 basses/guitars have red side marker dots? I have seen plenty of Jetglo and Mapleglo 4001 examples. Has anyone ever seen a white with BT that has red markers? There are never clear pictures of this feature but since the neck binding is white and the factory was out of black material necessitating the red dots, I would think white ones built in this timeframe certainly could. 8)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Another '74 red dot question

Post by jdogric12 »

I searched the register real quick and came to NF 3789, June 74, looks like dark dots.
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

NF 3597 is definitely dark dots:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

Good question! Curious to see if others can chime in and elucidate.
ram

Post by ram »

my NF3526 (June) MG is red dotted.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Specific for educational purposes: Has there ever been a sighting of a '74 4001 that is factory white with black trim (body binding, pickguard), that has red side marker dots on white neck binding? I say no - prove me wrong.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

my '74 (feb) with white trim has black dots.... I know it's stupid, but I really wish they were red....
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Red dot seem to be in the summer months of 1974. I have found June and July examples in Jetlgo and Mapleglo - possibbly one Burgandyglo but's hard to tell from pic. Awhile back Dale Fortune explained this as RIC ran out of black dot material for a short time and used what they had - red and rumored but I've never seen, green.

I can envision a whole rack or two of white trim bodies with red dots that eventually got sprayed black, fireglo, clear, and burgundy. Black bound bodies would have been a separate run that became white and mapleglo with BT option (if available in '74). All basses of the period I think had white neck binding regardless so who knows?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”