new RIC horseshoe vs. 4003s bridge sound?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

melvinsrule

new RIC horseshoe vs. 4003s bridge sound?

Post by melvinsrule »

Is there any difference between the two? I am awaiting arrival of a new 4003s matte black. I ordered a toaster and am wondering if
I should get a horsehoe from the Boutique when available again. Are there other bridge pups out there worthy of switching out? I see a local shop, Lollar, makes one, but it’s basically cost-prohibitive unless it’s very highly recommended by you. thanks
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: new RIC horseshoe vs. 4003s bridge sound?

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh yeah, going toaster & horseshoe is pretty widely praised. And the Lollar is about the closest you can get to a 60's one with magnetized shoes. Even better since all the old ones have to be regaussed by now! But if you're going to put that kind of money into it, might as well go 1/2" spacing as well.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

melvinsrule wrote:Is there any difference between the two? I am awaiting arrival of a new 4003s matte black. I ordered a toaster and am wondering if
I should get a horsehoe from the Boutique when available again. Are there other bridge pups out there worthy of switching out? I see a local shop, Lollar, makes one, but it’s basically cost-prohibitive unless it’s very highly recommended by you. thanks
The reissue Ric horseshoe isn’t a horseshoe, really, in the original sense. The “shoes” aren’t a working part of the pickup, unlike the originals; they’re just cosmetic. The Lollar IS a functioning horseshoe, so quite different. It really depends on what you’re after.

If they’re still in business, Classic Amplification also do well-regarded replacement pickups.
melvinsrule

Post by melvinsrule »

henry5 wrote:
melvinsrule wrote:Is there any difference between the two? I am awaiting arrival of a new 4003s matte black. I ordered a toaster and am wondering if
The reissue Ric horseshoe isn’t a horseshoe, really, in the original sense. The “shoes” aren’t a working part of the pickup, unlike the originals; they’re just cosmetic. The Lollar IS a functioning horseshoe, so quite different. It really depends on what you’re after.

If they’re still in business, Classic Amplification also do well-regarded replacement pickups.
Thanks. So, the pickup is the same in either (new) RIC version?
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

A couple of weeks ago, I A/B-d my CS bass with a repro horseshoe installed versus a Tuxedo loaded with higains.

The CS sounded a little better. A little.

But I quickly came to realize that all of the improvement I heard was thanks to the neck pickup.

That said --- what's the hurry? Why not try out your new bass for a while before forking out $500 for a horseshoe?

Besides you, who will notice the difference?
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

melvinsrule wrote:
henry5 wrote:

Thanks. So, the pickup is the same in either (new) RIC version?
Er, no, the reissue horseshoe isn’t quite the same as the high gain. In my experience it sounds a bit different, but then it also depends what period it’s from, as my understanding is that the ones from the CSs and V63s are hotter than the later ones in the C Series. I’m afraid it’s not a very straightforward thing, and whatever you choose you’ll never really know what it’s like until it’s in your bass; it might sound very different in a different one.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”