Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anoukane
Intermediate Member

4001 '79 trussrods and frets

Post by anoukane »

I might get this Autumnglo.
It's from '79.

What do you think about the truss rods and the frets?
$_85 (4).jpeg
$_85 (3).jpeg
$_85 (2).jpeg
$_85 (1).jpeg
$_85.jpeg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 4001 '79 trussrods and frets

Post by jdogric12 »

Nothing weird is jumping out at me... should it be?
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Post by anoukane »

No it shouldnt. :) Just wanted to have some experts to take a look at it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

You might need a thin walled truss rod tool to get under those nuts, but that's quite common. The original finish over the spacer, looks like. Encouraging.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Well, to me, it sure looks like something's going on with the "low" side truss rod. Whoever adjusted this in the past probably had to add that extra nut (or whatever, as a spacer) under the regular adjustment nut so as to be able to use an adjustment tool (because the extra length of the rod sticking out would prevent seating of the wrench/nut driver). Anyway, it seems like the opposite end of the truss rod (specifically, the nut and washer assembly located there) has, and may still, be "pulling through" the wood. The least you should do is remove that rod and soak the area with super glue, to harden the wood and prevent any further pull-thru. If the neck adjustment is, and has been, stable for a long while, you may just get away with it as is. If you're having to make an adjustment of that rod a little too often, or if an adjustment has little effect other than extending the visible length of the rod end, then there's your que to do something about it. Well, that's how I'm seeing....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:Well, to me, it sure looks like something's going on with the "low" side truss rod. Whoever adjusted this in the past probably had to add that extra nut (or whatever, as a spacer) under the regular adjustment nut so as to be able to use an adjustment tool (because the extra length of the rod sticking out would prevent seating of the wrench/nut driver). Anyway, it seems like the opposite end of the truss rod (specifically, the nut and washer assembly located there) has, and may still, be "pulling through" the wood. The least you should do is remove that rod and soak the area with super glue, to harden the wood and prevent any further pull-thru. If the neck adjustment is, and has been, stable for a long while, you may just get away with it as is. If you're having to make an adjustment of that rod a little too often, or if an adjustment has little effect other than extending the visible length of the rod end, then there's your que to do something about it. Well, that's how I'm seeing....
This is the old hairpin style trussrod. :wink:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep, that's an old style rod, so one would not turn it to make the change, but rather loosen, manually adjust (bend the neck with your hands), and tighten to hold it in place.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

"old style"... Well, that's about the third time I've messed that up. :oops: :? I'll have to study up on truss rod history....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:"old style"... Well, that's about the third time I've messed that up. :oops: :? I'll have to study up on truss rod history....
I think there is a link to that somewhere around here... :mrgreen:
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Nothing out of the realm of fixable. Yep folded metal truss rod, just needs to be repositioned/reseated, they are not glued in.

Frets look like what I would expect a '79 to be, plenty of life there. Worst case it's going to take a refret someday.

Depending on the price and your budget of course. It all looks like honest use to me.
Dirk
ram

Post by ram »

Looks good to me... maybe a little light fret dressing in the future. I think I'd just reseat the rods and play it a while. Then if needed the super glue, fret dressing... incrementally. As Dirk said nothing out of the realm of fixable. From what I could see nice looking bass! Let us know what happens. Remember - pre-bend neck, hold, then adjust nuts
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”