And so it begins ....

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Re: And so it begins ....

Post by thx1955 »

aceonbass wrote:I've built several wiring harnesses for Dale F. Do you have a pic of your new harness?
Dane,
My sincere apologies, it was YOU who built, and have built all my Wiring Harnesses.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Man, that is one beautiful bass! Nice job and I LOVE the Ebony board with the crushed pearl inlays! :D :D :D
teeder

Post by teeder »

Love the color!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Hi All,
I just got back from a 4667 mile road trip, the 4001 was delivered just before I left on October 9th.

Larry fitted my 4001 with with Thomastik JF344's, prior to this I'd never used them, I must say however, they sound awesome, not cheap, but worth every penny. I'll be fitting some of my others with them too

The rewound Horseshoe sounds amazing with lots of tone and power, now I'm back home I'll be giving it a thorough audition.

The next project is to take my 2017 4003-S and turn it into a Fretless, same finish and same Ebony Fretboard and Wings.... :)

I have the final archive pictures from Larry and I'll post a few of them shortly.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

thx1955 wrote:...Thomastik JF344's, prior to this I'd never used them, I must say however, they sound awesome, not cheap, but worth every penny. I'll be fitting some of my others with them too.
Say it ain't so! :shock:

Love those strings; I have them on half of my basses. The other half have TI Jazz Rounds. 8)
teeder

Post by teeder »

jps wrote:
thx1955 wrote:...Thomastik JF344's, prior to this I'd never used them, I must say however, they sound awesome, not cheap, but worth every penny. I'll be fitting some of my others with them too.
Say it ain't so! :shock:

Love those strings; I have them on half of my basses. The other half have TI Jazz Rounds. 8)
Another big fan of the TI Flats. Jeff was right all those years ago! :mrgreen:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

thx1955 wrote:... I have the final archive pictures from Larry and I'll post a few of them shortly.
*crickets chirping* :shock: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I could never play TI flats.
I pluck too hard. Need higher tension than 130-something, I think the TI’s are. I’m in the 170 zone I think.

Can you post some sound samples with volumes and tones at 10 please?
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

lumgimfong wrote:I could never play TI flats.
I pluck too hard. Need higher tension than 130-something, I think the TI’s are. I’m in the 170 zone I think.

Can you post some sound samples with volumes and tones at 10 please?
I just don't really like flats.

I'd even use rounds on my upright if I could.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

doctorwho wrote:
thx1955 wrote:... I have the final archive pictures from Larry and I'll post a few of them shortly.
*crickets chirping* :shock: 8)
Hi Everyone, sorry for the delay, who'd thought Retirement was busier than when I was working.

I've received the high res files from Larry but have been way too busy to get them uploaded to my Mac and then here.

In the meantime here's a link to Larry's Facebook site where my 4001 was featured.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vani ... 8079097994

Larry says:
In early 2020 I was contacted about a project that some might consider a travesty – customizing a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001FL.
What Larry omits to say, was my reasoning why; my poor 4001-FL had been abused over the years prior to me obtaining it, it had a Bad Arse Bridge installed, had numerous holes all over the body, the original tuners had been removed and modern Schallers installed leaving even more holes.

You'll see in the link the condition she was in before Larry worked on her. Although she was a lovely FIreglo, the finish had a fair bit of Checking, with lots of scratches and bare patches as can be seen in the shots. And so, as much as I "like" Fireglo, I had always wanted to have a "Minky" .

The results were stunning, both visually and sonically, Larry did an outstanding job.

Having "lost" my Fretless, my next project is to take my 2017 4003-S and have Larry convert that to a Fretless with the same fittings and finish as the 4001.
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

That's an awesome finish. Makes me want to have my 4004 refinned the same way!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Kingbreaker wrote:That's an awesome finish. Makes me want to have my 4004 refinned the same way!
That's what I'm thinking about for my V63.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

As the others have said, that is an awesome finish! As good as Larry's pics are, I would like to see the headstock in some slightly better lighting so I can see those ebony wings! :shock: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”