Restoring a '75 4001.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Stablemate

Re: Restoring a '75 4001.

Post by Stablemate »

Thanks Dirk and Dane, great info! I'm an amateur at this stuff, and even though I might cut a few corners due to lack of experience and a wide range of tools, I'm trying not to completely hack the job like previous owners have done.

The headstock tuner holes are indeed drilled wider to fit Schallers (I mislabeled them Grovers). So wide, my new Rick bushings almost fall through. At least the guy who butchered this bass left the old Rick tuner screw holes. They line up perfectly with the new Rick tuners.

I figured inserting dowels is the best way to go, although seeing as the holes themselves don't feel string tension (the tuner screws and shaft do) they could literally be filled with anything solid (15 min non-shrinking two-part wood putty), sanded flush, center drilled, and that could work too? Might be quicker/easier than dealing with dowels, and the work will be hidden once everything is back on.

Dirk

Post by Dirk »

No short cuts, do the dowel technique, no wood putty please.
Fillers won't provide the strength you need.

Dane's electronics are great way to solve that issue, I've been very happy with the harness he built for me.

Dirk
jps
RRF Consultant

. Do not use anything other than wood (dowels, or more prop

Post by jps »

Stablemate wrote:Thanks Dirk and Dane, great info! I'm an amateur at this stuff, and even though I might cut a few corners due to lack of experience and a wide range of tools, I'm trying not to completely hack the job like previous owners have done.

The headstock tuner holes are indeed drilled wider to fit Schallers (I mislabeled them Grovers). So wide, my new Rick bushings almost fall through. At least the guy who butchered this bass left the old Rick tuner screw holes. They line up perfectly with the new Rick tuners.

I figured inserting dowels is the best way to go, although seeing as the holes themselves don't feel string tension (the tuner screws and shaft do) they could literally be filled with anything solid (15 min non-shrinking two-part wood putty), sanded flush, center drilled, and that could work too? Might be quicker/easier than dealing with dowels, and the work will be hidden once everything is back on.
Dirk wrote:No short cuts, do the dowel technique, no wood putty please.
Fillers won't provide the strength you need
+1 No putty, bondo, etc. Use dowels, or better yet, properly cut wood plugs. Don't make it worse than it already is.
ram

Post by ram »

What Dirk said. Dane's work is great I have one in a 4004 he made and am probably going to have new one for my 4001 made in the not too distant future. Use the wood plugs, no filler please. The filler can be helpful for cosmetic repairs but the wood dowel (maple???) glued in and sanded down, will be far more solid a platform for your tuners/strings. You will thank yourself for doing it in the future!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

After you dowel the old tuner holes, instead of just drilling the new holes to fit the bushings (what most manufacturers and luthiers would do)...first drill small pilot holes (with a drill press) then drill holes that fit the bushings ONLY as deep as they need to be, then drill the rest of the way for the tuner shaft size. This will give you greater tuning stability.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Nice to see another nice 4001 being brought back, and the removal of the Badass

Do you already have a Tailpiece ??? if not feel free to PM me

Looking good so far, keep sending the updates, great to see the progress.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
Stablemate

Post by Stablemate »

Thanks all, will be sure to use dowel rods and keep you updated. Also dropping Dane a PM about a wiring harness, as I don't really want to deal with the mess that's currently in there. I sadly don't have any machine shop tools like a drill press, so will have to make do with basic tools. If anyone in the Los Angeles area can help out, the beers are on me.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

ram wrote:What Dirk said. Dane's work is great I have one in a 4004 he made and am probably going to have new one for my 4001 made in the not too distant future. Use the wood plugs, no filler please. The filler can be helpful for cosmetic repairs but the wood dowel (maple???) glued in and sanded down, will be far more solid a platform for your tuners/strings. You will thank yourself for doing it in the future!
+1 on Dane's wiring harnesses, he's made quite a few for me (4001-4003-4004) all working great.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”