Mute screw thread size?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Mute screw thread size?

Post by cassius987 »

I'd like to replace the screws on my tailpiece with something that has a different (shorter, less intrusive) head, like a pan head slotted for a flathead screwdriver.

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/BOLT-S ... p_647.html

The reason: I have found that the taller stock screw is the main reason why it's hard to palm mute the G string without contorting my wrist. I can palm mute all other strings pretty easily.

I can go to ACE to determine the thread size, but if anyone already knows what it is, that will really help speed things along (plus I trust y'all more than that sizing guide that is potentially stripped out).
radapaw

Re: Mute screw thread size?

Post by radapaw »

pretty sure its 10-24, but I'd double check that.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

They're the same as the strap pins, but the actual size I never measured.

And they won't be metric, try your local hardware store, they usually have a display that lets you try screws and bolts to get the correct size/pitch.
Dirk
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

Dirk wrote:They're the same as the strap pins,
Same as the older 'thumbscrew' strap pins, but if I recall the newer locking strap posts are a different thread.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

radapaw wrote:
Same as the older 'thumbscrew' strap pins, but if I recall the newer locking strap posts are a different thread.
How nwere are you talking about? The Schaller buttons fit fine into the '73 4001s I had, even into the '67 4005WB I had, too.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Dirk wrote:they usually have a display that lets you try screws and bolts to get the correct size/pitch.
Thanks. I have had one of those re-thread a bolt once (I guess it was too soft of a metal) but I will give it a shot!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

The thread size is UNC 10-24, which means Unified National Coarse and is an inch size thread with 24 threads per inch...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

cjj wrote:The thread size is UNC 10-24, which means Unified National Coarse and is an inch size thread with 24 threads per inch...
Thank you!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

cjj wrote:The thread size is UNC 10-24, which means Unified National Coarse and is an inch size thread with 24 threads per inch...
+1

This is from a very old thread:
Screenshot from 2021-05-29 16-48-22_rezized.jpg
IIRC, JH told us that the factory uses a second die of similar size (I don't remember which one) to redress the threads, which "roughens" them up to make the bolt fit tighter, so that's why if you take a factory strapbolt to Ace you don't get an exact match. The screws I bought are on the right in the picture below.
StartMat.JPG
IIRC I got a box of them from McMaster-Carr. will check tomorrow to see if I still have some. If I do I can just mail a couple gratis.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

jps wrote:
radapaw wrote:
How nwere are you talking about? The Schaller buttons fit fine into the '73 4001s I had, even into the '67 4005WB I had, too.
you'd have to ask Mr. hall
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=13366
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I did that mod a few years ago. I also replaced the sharp bridge height adjustment screws with shorter ones.
Bridge mod.jpg
"Knowledge is Power"
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

doctorwho wrote: ...IIRC I got a box of them from McMaster-Carr. will check tomorrow to see if I still have some. If I do I can just mail a couple gratis.
I still have some of the 10-24 machine screws, so Rhys, if you want me to send you a couple, PM me with your mailing address. 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

doctorwho wrote:
doctorwho wrote: ...IIRC I got a box of them from McMaster-Carr. will check tomorrow to see if I still have some. If I do I can just mail a couple gratis.
I still have some of the 10-24 machine screws, so Rhys, if you want me to send you a couple, PM me with your mailing address. 8)
Thank you! PM sent!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

cassius987 wrote:
doctorwho wrote:
Thank you! PM sent!
Hmmm .... I don't see a new PM in my messages. Could you please resend it?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

doctorwho wrote:
Hmmm .... I don't see a new PM in my messages. Could you please resend it?
Sorry, I sent it to myself the first time (not sure how that happened). I checked that this one went through. Thanks for following up!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”