Replacement truss rods for 4001

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

TTA

Replacement truss rods for 4001

Post by TTA »

I think i have issue with my rods and will likely pull them to check. I know they can be cut and threaded. Up to 2 inches off and they will still work.

Anyone know the oem lengths of the top and bottom. I suspect one of mine is already cut as thread exposure is quite different when installed.

And are these replacement rods decent? Any experience?

https://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product/4 ... russ-rods/
Dirk

Re: Replacement truss rods for 4001

Post by Dirk »

I assume you're talking vintage 4001 so it's the old folded rods.

Wow those look pretty impressive, but those look like new style rods.
Old style rods only hold the neck in place, modern rods are actually adjustable like other basses.

The rods are not glued most times, so just slide the rods further toward the nut end. Re tap the steel and away you go.

Good luck,
Dirk
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

TTA wrote:I think i have issue with my rods and will likely pull them to check. I know they can be cut and threaded. Up to 2 inches off and they will still work.

Anyone know the oem lengths of the top and bottom. I suspect one of mine is already cut as thread exposure is quite different when installed.

Rickysounds do different rods for both 4001 and 4003 basses, so you need to make sure you pick the right ones. Those are indeed the correct ones, but you can always check with them. I’ve got a set of the former in my Azure ‘72 4001. I found them a little stiffer than the original rods, but my repair guy thought they were actually better and the neck (and action) on my Azure is now better than ever. I will however add that I got a friend to make a new, longer block/thrust plate, which also helps.
TTA

Post by TTA »

henry5 wrote:
TTA wrote:I think i have issue with my rods and will likely pull them to check. I know they can be cut and threaded. Up to 2 inches off and they will still work.

Rickysounds do different rods for both 4001 and 4003 basses, so you need to make sure you pick the right ones. Those are indeed the correct ones, but you can always check with them. I’ve got a set of the former in my Azure ‘72 4001. I found them a little stiffer than the original rods, but my repair guy thought they were actually better and the neck (and action) on my Azure is now better than ever. I will however add that I
got a friend to make a new, longer block/thrust plate, which also helps.

Longer than the upgraded block sold above?
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Yes. It shouldn’t normally be necessary but I like a super straight neck with extremely low action and it’s a very old bass; every little helps. The block kind of fits the truss rod cavity in the headstock, similar in principal to this:

https://sfguitarworks.com/guitar-repair ... ck-repair/
TTA

Post by TTA »

The rickysounds truss rods were great. Oem rods are primitive in comparison. The aluminum block is also camfered to stop the rods from riding up on it. The only issue was that i had to file down the washers cause they were too large to let me put my truss rod cover on.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”