Dead pickup on 4001FL - seeking advice

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Dead pickup on 4001FL - seeking advice

Post by cassius987 »

My very modified 4001FL* has a dead Toaster pickup in the neck position. A reputable luthier assures me the coil has gone bad. I either need to have the pickup rewound or replace the pickup entirely.

I would prefer to just rewind, but I do not know who can do that for me. I believe Lollar has stopped working on Ric pickups for some reason - someone in their CS department told me so a few years back.

If I were to buy a replacement, do people like the current Toasters RIC sells out of the boutique? I have not purchased one for over a decade, and it would be unfortunate if it were a mismatch.

I am also thinking about changing out the homemade wiring harness to something besides volume/volume/volume/tone, but it will be hard to do away with this while keeping three pickups. Suggestions are welcome! One idea I have is a 5-way rotary pickup selector, master volume, master tone, and a variable capacitor. For those wondering, all three pickups on at the same time is a useable sound, but not one that I favor.

*History of the bass: b. 1976; sometime before 2009 given a hack job P Bass pickup mod; 2009 I bought it, designed the 3-pickup setup and had Tony Dudzik make a my pg design for it (I took significant inspiration from someone else's design I saw on TB), as well as having Lollar make the bridge pickup RWRP; gigged on and off since. It's definitely my most popular bass among fellow musicians.
Attachments
IMG_3017.jpg
espidog

Re: Dead pickup on 4001FL - seeking advice

Post by espidog »

Hi Rhys,

So long as you and/or your luthier are absolutely certain that it's the pup that's failed (I mean, I'm assuming that your luthier has desoldered the pup from the rest of the circuit, has checked it with a test meter and found that it's gone open circuit etc.) - then I would always opt for a repair/rewind of a vintage pup, rather than think of buying a modern "replica" toaster.

I'm in the UK, so unable to recommend a pup tech in the USA from personal experience. However, I know that Lindy Fralin has a very good reputation. I checked out his webpage, and alas he's not taking any new rewind orders until further notice, owing to Covid.
He recommends that people try Tom Brantley Rewinds instead:

http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/lap-steels-1-1

I know nothing about the guy myself, but he seems to know his stuff, so no harm talking to him, eh? :)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

I’m sure there must be an abundance of pickup guys in the States. Unfortunately I’m also in the UK but can think of several here, the first being Aaron Armstrong (Kent’s son).

Have you tried Googling? There’s Classic Amplification; I know they do their own Ric replacement pickups but they may do rewinds, I guess you’d have to ask.
ram

Post by ram »

Not sure about Lollar... he still is making his version of the Horseshoe, although there was that who lawsuit thing. Might be worth a call or Email. If not maybe peruse the 'Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski' in this forum and see if anyone here is still winding pickups.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
StereoPlayer

Post by StereoPlayer »

I’ve had Tom Brantley Rewinds fix a PU for me as well as a custom tapped PU J set for me.
He lists Rickenbacker PU repairs on his website.
Highly recommended.
You can’t get here from there.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Tom Brantley did a great job on a pair of 4002 pickups for me once.
farace

Post by farace »

Tom Brantley also did a neck pickup for me for a 4003. Good job, reasonably priced. I’d have no qualms about sending him a toaster, he does some far more esoteric pickups than that!
--Bob

2015 4003 FG
1992 4003FL FG
1983 4003 WAL

Gone (stolen) but not forgotten, 1978 4001 WHT
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Sounds like a lot of recommendations for Brantley, who I had never heard of before. Thank you all. I will definitely give them a look!
espidog wrote:I'm assuming that your luthier has desoldered the pup from the rest of the circuit, has checked it with a test meter and found that it's gone open circuit etc.) - then I would always opt for a repair/rewind of a vintage pup, rather than think of buying a modern "replica" toaster.
You assume correctly. Actually, the pup is an RI Toaster from the mid-00's but it was a lovely-sounding 6.8k when I bought it.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I believe Joe Barden rewires Ric pickups.

https://jbepickups.com/
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Lindy Fralin does rewinds. Not sure if he does ric rewinds.

If you want to get radical try:
HB1’s and 500k pots and .022 caps?
Sounds just as great and makes bass noiseless with copper shielded cavity.
Same tiger growl ric tone.
I did it to my 4003 highly recommended.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

lumgimfong wrote:Lindy Fralin does rewinds. Not sure if he does ric rewinds.
I live in Richmond and work very close to Lindy's shop. They don't do Ric rewinds.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Definitely get that thing rewound! Regarding rewire: May sound too antiquated, but what about the pickup selection found on Lennon's 325? It could lend an air of credibility when you're ashes and someone in a pawn shop on Mars is trying to figure out "What the heck is this?" Might be a nice time to consider the updated Rickenbacker bridge?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
espidog

Post by espidog »

It always surprises me when I hear that a pickup's windings have gone open circuit. I mean, I know the guage is very fine, but it's not as if the wire on the bobbin is subjected to any physical forces in normal use. Nor does it ever get to pass any significant current - certainly not enough to melt the copper. I suppose age could bring a certain brittleness, but apart from that... who knows???

Nevertheless, go open circuit they do, apparently. Go figure.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Thanks all - going with Tom Brantley for the rewind!
Kiddwad57 wrote:what about the pickup selection found on Lennon's 325? ... Might be a nice time to consider the updated Rickenbacker bridge?
I am finding conflicting info about how the 325 was wired. Can you elaborate?

I am not a fan of the Hipshot bridge on every Ric bass, but on this one it works beautifully.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Well, not sure either! But here's a Rickresource post that may help, not sure how to create a link:

Board index ‹ RRF Rickenbacker Forums 2000-2021 ‹ Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons ‹ Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983
325 C58 Wiring Harness Info
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”