Do these readings mean my HB1 neck pickup is dead?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Do these readings mean my HB1 neck pickup is dead?

Post by lumgimfong »

Just for reference, in case anyone wonders how an HB1 should read. My good HB1 reads on ohms:

With all 4 wires separated and shield separate, nothing touching:

Red to black = 8.02
blue to clear - 8.02

Per Ric instructions for standard installation with black/clear together and blue/ground together and red alone for standard installation of red to hot and blue/shield to ground on the instrument, (black/clear put aside and heat shrinked): 15.97
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:Just for reference, in case anyone wonders how an HB1 should read. My good HB1 reads on ohms:

With all 4 wires separated and shield separate, nothing touching:

Red to black = 8.02
blue to clear - 8.02

Per Ric instructions for standard installation with black/clear together and blue/ground together and red alone for standard installation of red to hot and blue/shield to ground on the instrument, (black/clear put aside and heat shrinked): 15.97
The few HB-1s that I have measured were pretty much right on 7.5K Ω for each coil.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

The HB1 and HB2 are epoxied inside the cover so they are pretty much non-repairable. It is odd that it is reading open. There is a circuit board on the bottom where each of the 4 coil wires solder in. On the early HB2's there is a small gap between the epoxy and the circuit board and the wires can get nicked. This happened to one of my HB2's, but I was able to fix it eventually. The later HB2's and the HB1's usually have the epoxy covering the whole area and they aren't able to be fixed without major surgery. Since a new one is $95 or whatever, then it makes more sense to buy a new one.

Greg
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

yeah, I will have to just get a new one.

Shame to have to just toss it though.
At least I can keep the leads and cover as spares.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

jps wrote:The few HB-1s that I have measured were pretty much right on 7.5K Ω for each coil.
As I recall, that's what mine measured, too.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”