RRF Consultant

Re: Incoming 4003s

Post by rickinroma »

TI JF344
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Since the lead wires on RIC hi-gain bridge pickups are so fragile, I like to use super glue to glue the lead wire to the back of the plastic base plate right where the shielding starts. This will act as a strain relief to keep the wire from breaking off, which often happens after you've taken the pickup assembly off a couple times.
condo

Post by condo »

i just ordered these, a couple bucks less than the TIs, and seemed like they got good reviews ...
https://www.stringsbymail.com/optima-44 ... 16489.html
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

Beautiful bass.

For living room friendly amps, the smaller Ampeg combos are good. I recommend buying used if you're on a budget. If you're feeling fancy, the Ampeg PF-20T and PF-50T with their accompanying cabs are great.

With strings, the only ones I've tried that I've really hated are GHS. I mainly have used D'Addario XLs, but there are lots of good options.
T28

Post by T28 »

condo wrote:i just ordered these, a couple bucks less than the TIs, and seemed like they got good reviews ...
https://www.stringsbymail.com/optima-44 ... 16489.html
I’ve used those before and really like them. Not quite a floppy as the TI strings.
condo

Post by condo »

I flipped the bridge pick up surround as suggested. And I put on the Optima flats. It's looks, plays, and sounds pretty sweet :)
A shout out to "Strings by mail". Great customer service. I found them by searching about flat wound ric bass strings here, or it could have been BassIQ.
I broke the "A" string while restringing it, Probably user error. For future reference don't run the threaded part of the string through the nut while tightining the string. My first set of flats.
I emailed Strings By mail right after I broke it and asked them to sell me just the A. They sent me a free replacement. Awesome right?

I ended up getting a 1x10 mark bass amp. Its enough for my needs. Do you guys run any effects with your Ric Bass? Anything a must have? I tried some of my guitar fx pedals with it, that was fun.
I bought a Melekko Diabolik Fuzz, I paired that up with a tremolo and it sounded like floyds "one of these days"

I uploaded the pic on the gear page... its too big for an img tag
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 27780/full
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

condo wrote:I flipped the bridge pick up surround as suggested. And I put on the Optima flats. It's looks, plays, and sounds pretty sweet :)
I'm sure it does! :D
condo wrote:I ended up getting a 1x10 mark bass amp. Its enough for my needs. Do you guys run any effects with your Ric Bass? Anything a must have? I tried some of my guitar fx pedals with it, that was fun.
I have owned a couple different Markbass heads that I used with my Ricks, a LM II, and a F1, but since 2012 I have been using an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. For the past 15 years, or so, I have also had (still do) a Minimark which is an excellent little amp.
Minimark-1200_4268.jpg
As to effects, back in the '70s and early '80s, I used an MXR Phase 90, Distortion+, and a Furman RV-1, along with the tremolo in my old Traynor YSR-1. I have had quite a few different pedals since, but these days I use a new Phase 90 (my original one from 1974 died in the mid '90s), tc electronic MOJOMOJO, Cave Passive Pedals B-Drive Mk II, Tech21 Sansamp GT2, but my main pedal, that I use all the time, is a Strymon Flint.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”