Passing it on

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Passing it on

Post by bassduke49 »

72Rick copy.jpg
Last week I bequeathed my last Rickenbacker bass - actually, it was my FIRST Rick bass that I bought used in 1975. Most of you are familiar with this bass. It's a 1972 4001 that was originally Mapleglo and I had it refinished by Paul Wilczynski in 2006 in a "berryburst" finish that I used to call "Mink." It was the centerpiece of my "Rickenbacker National Forest" that had grown to 21 Ricks at one point. Shortly after I finished the first edition of the book, I started a "clear cut" sale of the Forest. I was no longer playing in a band and since the Forest was lumber for the construction of the book, it was time to let others enjoy the instruments. But I held on to my original Rick until now. I hadn't touched the instrument in years (where does the time go? And what is the time signature? :lol: ) and it was just gathering dust. Time to let go.

I have a nephew - my twin sister's first child - who is now in his mid 40s and he has a son who is 14. Both have inherited the musical gene - and my father's parlor grand piano - so I have bequeathed the Rick to them to add to the family's music room. I had my sister and husband transport the bass cross country from here in Wisconsin to my nephew in Virginia last week. I had a great Zoom call with the nephew and grand nephew last Sunday to watch them open the case for the first time. They knew it was coming, but were still over the moon with the gift, handling it gently as I explained its history and walked them through a tour of the instrument. I gave them some conditions: keep it in the family; don't lay it on the floor or lean it against an amp; don't play thrash music, etc. :wink:

So here is a parting shot, literally. I'll see it again during some family visit I hope. Now just because I am Rickless now doesn't mean I'm going away. I enjoy the company here and hope to contribute to the discussions from time to time.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Passing it on

Post by libratune »

Great story, Paul, thanks for sharing.

I know we all appreciate the time and effort you put into the two editions of your book.

Glad to see you'll continue to be with us on this forum!
TTA

Post by TTA »

Very nice! Good to keep it in the family.

Was it refinished?
scotty

Post by scotty »

What a lovely thing to do.
I'm sure they will love it as much as you do.

One small act of kindness will change a person's life.
Well done Paul.Sending you much respect and love.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Say it ain't so! :shock:

I sure hope Jr. really does know what he was gifted; I'm sure he does as no doubt, you gave him a book, or two, to go along with the bass. 8)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Oh yes, he is aware of the "celebrity" connection! :lol: And since it is in such great shape and in a rare finish (not unique though) with a few customization thrown on, they understand that it is a valuable instrument. I made them promise not to sell it, but I suggested the value would be around 3Gs. They are not hurtin' for dough, so they won't filp it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bassduke49 wrote:I made them promise not to sell it...
So, they'd be willing to give it away? :wink:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I'd like to imagine that it would be "given" away to the next generation, and then the next, etc. :) They have my father's piano, carefully and lovingly moved from New York to Virginia decades ago, and both my nephew and his son play a nice drum kit there as well. Music may not be a passion with them, but there is at least a genetic factor for music appreciation.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

A family heirloom.

I have to wonder whether my nephews and niece would have any interest in the stuff I have (not the musical items, but they probably wouldn't be interested in that stuff, too). I'm thinking of the Stickley; JM Young; Roseville; Rookwood; Acoma and other Pueblo Indian pottery we have, and the vintage lamps (table and floor lamps) and other things we have.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Great story Paul, I hope your in good health.

The "Mink" bass has always been one of my favorites.
"Knowledge is Power"
teeder

Post by teeder »

jps wrote:A family heirloom.

I have to wonder whether my nephews and niece would have any interest in the stuff I have.
If not, your long lost brother Kevin would be! :mrgreen: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:
jps wrote:A family heirloom.

I have to wonder whether my nephews and niece would have any interest in the stuff I have.
If not, your long lost brother Kevin would be! :mrgreen: :lol:
You will need to be qualified. :wink: DNA testing optional...
teeder

Post by teeder »

:lol:
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Post by anoukane »

Thanks for sharing Paul and thanks for the nice book.
And let me buy one of your Rickenbackers in the past. Never forget you shipped it out before receiving the payment. :)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Ah yes, Philip. A Jetglo 4003 as I recall! Hope you are well and happy!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”