Ever swapped a zinc cast tail for a vintage sand cast one?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pag
Intermediate Member

Ever swapped a zinc cast tail for a vintage sand cast one?

Post by pag »

Im considering swapping the zinc tailpiece/bridge on my CS for a vintage aluminium one if I can find one..
Im sure a few people have done this in the past but is there any chance you could share the experience? How much surgery is involved? Was it a success? What tips could you give me?
I have heard previously that its possible to install a modern bridge into the vintage tailpiece should no bridge become available.
And of course theres the old chestnut of cost and shipping from abroad. Therefore I would love to hear from anyone in the UK who has an old aluminium tailpiece/bridge that they may have removed from a 4001 and have tucked away somewhere for this project.
Im not a collector just a player and I have seen some mad prices asked for old Rick parts..so be gentle with me!
Thanks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Ever swapped a zinc cast tail for a vintage sand cast on

Post by jps »

pag wrote:I have heard previously that its possible to install a modern bridge into the vintage tailpiece should no bridge become available.
The bridge on the zinc version is wider than the bridge on a cast aluminum one, so it would not fit into the recess which is also slightly different in width. Perhaps, you heard it backwards?
March '73; July '73; '90s-early '00s
March '73; July '73; '90s-early '00s
Note: the three mounting holes under the bridge are in different locations, front to back between the two tailpieces; you may have to drill new holes.

BTW, I did a gig with Rare Blend where I brought my two '73 4001s (MG March '73 and FG July '73), one with the cast aluminum tailpiece/bridge and one with the zinc one. Everything was stock on the two basses (except for the Hipshot tuning keys on the July '73 4001); they both also had fresh sets of TI Jazz Rounds on them. Sonically I couldn't tell a difference, really. I assume your wanting to change out the tailpiece/bridge mostly for aesthetic reasons?
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I am sort of doing it for the aesthetic side of things but after owning three RMs Ive never really been a fan of the zinc tailpiece. The current tailpiece on my CS is the second its had one after the original started lifting. The bridge slot issue is why I am going to have to find the complete article if Im to go ahead. After that I intend to put vintage style tuners on it..that requires some work due to the narrower ferrules.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I put one on my current V63.
When I bought the TP years ago off ebay, It had 2 extra screw holes. I had them filled and went ahead and had the bridge pocket milled out for a modern bridge, then re-plated.
Unfortunately, shortly after I got it all back from Larry D, the HS quit working and it's sat in my closet ever since.

I'm considering having it re-finned in the same color that Jim Glen had his bass done and I can get the HS fixed up at that time.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Peter.....If you find a cast tailpiece, you'll find tbe 3 mounting holes aren't in the same place. The center one is particularly offset to one side. The saddles also have very little travel on the narrower bridge, but the bridge pocket can be machined to accept the later bridge assembly. I'd try and find a C64 tailpiece (which I remember John Hall sending you) and add the 2 mounting holes toward the rear like the early 4003 tailpiece. Although you'll have 2 visible screw holes, they'll actually keep the part from lifting (unlike the 2 holes added to the zinc tailpiece when it was introduced in May of 1973). The C64 tuners that replicate the early Kluson tuners, will drop right into place where the Schaller/RIC tuners were. However the 4 mounting holes are just a hair off of the C64 tuners. This is because the Schaller part is metric, while the C64 tuner (custom made for RIC by Gotoh) is standard measurement. I would dowel each of the 16 holes before drilling new mounting holes. Gotoh tuner ferrules can't be used on anything but C64 basses, but the standard Schaller ferrule can be chucked up into a hand drill, so that you can turn down the wider flange to vintage spec to go along with your C64 tuners.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Thanks Dane. I tried the C64 tail on the CS but it too lifted slightly so I put it on a V63 which I later sold.
My CS has a replacement V63/CS series tailpiece and the original is in my parts box. Actually doing all this will take until next year!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

teeder wrote:I put one on my current V63.
When I bought the TP years ago off ebay, It had 2 extra screw holes. I had them filled and went ahead and had the bridge pocket milled out for a modern bridge, then re-plated.
Unfortunately, shortly after I got it all back from Larry D, the HS quit working and it's sat in my closet ever since.

I'm considering having it re-finned in the same color that Jim Glen had his bass done and I can get the HS fixed up at that time.
Kevin,
I can pass you the name of the lad in California who rebuilt, rewound and Re-magnetised my Horseshoe for the princely sum of $110 + shipping, the results were amazing, let me know and I'll pass along the details.

Peter,
Have you considered using a new V-2 Tailpiece ?
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
teeder

Post by teeder »

thx1955 wrote:

Kevin,
I can pass you the name of the lad in California who rebuilt, rewound and Re-magnetised my Horseshoe for the princely sum of $110 + shipping, the results were amazing, let me know and I'll pass along the details.

Peter,

Hi Jim,

Yes, please!

Thanks!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

teeder wrote:
thx1955 wrote:

Kevin,

Peter,

Hi Jim,

Yes, please!

Thanks!

PM & Email sent
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I wouldnt consider anything other than the reissue vintage lookalike tailpiece or as this post hints at..the original sand cast tail. Im happy with the CS/V63 tail that is on the bass at the moment. If a vintage one comes along I will buy it and take it from there.
Eventually I will swap the tuners for vintage style ones and get a reputable local guitar surgeon to do the woodwork.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”