4003 new bridge / string saddle screws - help please!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Re: 4003 new bridge / string saddle screws - help please!

Post by maxwell »

The magnet is a good idea, but I'd get down on my hands & knees and use something inexpensive, like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-mag ... 60433.html

Then other money can be spent on a nice pair of digital calipers. Here's what I have (which I plan to replace someday):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Too ... 383994-_-N&
Mine has non-metal jaws, which I don't like. I had to wrap some electrical tape over one jaw to compensate for a consistent error. A decent one with metal jaws would cost about two-to-three times as much. Anyway, using one of these is the only way to get an accurate diameter. If the caliper has three modes (mm, inch - fraction, inch - decimal) it's easy to "convert" the mode units simply by pressing the mode button. So, it's not a one-time purchase -- good for measuring other things on a guitar; I sometimes measure my strings if I'm unsure of their size. Then add a stainless steel 6-in. ruler with both metric and inch markings; good for set-ups, and handy to measure these threads, rather, count the threads in a quarter inch, then multiply by 4 for threads/full inch.

I like doing this stuff.... Can you tell? :wink:
paulgraybass

Post by paulgraybass »

Thanks again or all your replies fellas...unfortunately I think the screw must have fallen out or rattled loose whilst recording in a studio a few months ago (I'm the bassist for The Damned) so a magnet is a no-no unfortunately!

I was sent a Fender bass saddle screw by the shop I bought it from - that's actually it next to the Ric one.

The biggest problem seems to be pitch and coarsness and thread count - in imperial it looks to be 3/32 x 3/8 " with 13 threads, so 6/8 would be 26 and therefore around 34 I'm guessing per inch. I've found other UK stores but myriad different pitches so I guess until such time as Rickenbacker deign to respond to me I'm stuck and individual saddles for new assembly not available.

I am however dropping it round to a luther later in the week for a rummage so fingers crossed...and thanks again, appreciated!
espidog

Post by espidog »

paulgraybass wrote:I am however dropping it round to a luther later in the week
I fail to see how Idris Elba is going to be any help, but ye never know... :wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I now suspect that these screws are RIC proprietary. Who knows when you'll lose another screw? Who knows if RIC will ever (or when) sell the screws or saddle assemblies? If it were possible, I'd get a machinist, or someone with those skills, to re-tap all eight screw holes (all the saddles) to the common size of 4-40, the common Fender saddle set screw size. There's someone here knowledgeable about this stuff who might chime in to advise. I don't know if a modification like this would de-value your bass....
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

The grub screws that came with my 2016 4003s were way to long and dug into my picking hand. I bought shorter ones at my local True Value Hardware store. Menards also has a similar display.

Amazon seems to have everything:
https://www.amazon.com/DYWISHKEY-Assort ... 602&sr=8-4
"Knowledge is Power"
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

paulgraybass wrote:Thanks again or all your replies fellas...unfortunately I think the screw must have fallen out or rattled loose whilst recording in a studio a few months ago (I'm the bassist for The Damned) so a magnet is a no-no unfortunately!

I was sent a Fender bass saddle screw by the shop I bought it from - that's actually it next to the Ric one.

The biggest problem seems to be pitch and coarsness and thread count - in imperial it looks to be 3/32 x 3/8 " with 13 threads, so 6/8 would be 26 and therefore around 34 I'm guessing per inch. I've found other UK stores but myriad different pitches so I guess until such time as Rickenbacker deign to respond to me I'm stuck and individual saddles for new assembly not available.

I am however dropping it round to a luther later in the week for a rummage so fingers crossed...and thanks again, appreciated!
32 threads per inch is a common pitch.

Personally, I can't imagine RIC going to the trouble of getting proprietary scews made. What would be the point?
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Being a precision mechanic maybe I can help:

From counting the threads the M3 is about 10mm long. So the original screw seems to be the same length.

A M3 has 50,8 threads per inch.
Adding the tip, yours has about 16 threads for 10mm. That means 40 threads per inch.

Now threre are some possibilities, IMHO:

- if slightly bigger in diameter it could be a #5 - 40 UNC
- if slightly thinner in diameter it coueld be a #4 - 40 UNC

Did some research here:
https://www.gewinde-normen.de/uns-gewinde.html

There is also the the UNF range, but the only fitting size for about 3mm diameter would be a #5 - 44 UNF. But 44 threads per inch seem to be too much.

In case of doubt order a bunch off all sizes.

- If somebody here has calipers and the same bass we can solve that quite fast.
paulgraybass

Post by paulgraybass »

hello everyone, thanks again for all your help and now sorted!

Ended up taking it to a luthier who after much rummaging around found the perfect fit, a screw from a vintage model Strat, of all things.

Cheers - PG
ram

Post by ram »

God I love a happy ending!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
espidog

Post by espidog »

An even happier one would have been for RIC to have responded to their customer with the required information. :roll:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
ram

Post by ram »

Ken I am seriously starting to think they may not know what the piece is, as an active data point. Although they should be able and willing to find out!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

lumgimfong wrote:I have my whole 4003 bridge assembly for sale if you are looking. Came from my 2016 4003. Includes tailpiece/mute/bridge and saddles and mounting screws.
Or, you could replace yours with a Hipshot. Which is what I did for palm muteability and way greater ease of setup.
I'm considering swapping out the hipshot on my '75 or trying to find a machinist to modify it. I don't palm mute on bass (ever), and the saddles don't seem very stable and wobble.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

There ya go. Currently $275, six days left.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234283556565
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

espidog wrote:
paulgraybass wrote:I am however dropping it round to a luther later in the week
I fail to see how Idris Elba is going to be any help, but ye never know... :wink:
Heimdall sees all. 8)
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”