4004 Replacement Tuners

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pdusen

4004 Replacement Tuners

Post by pdusen »

I have a handful of 4004s from the 2010s and I love them all, but they also all have a bit of a problem; very slight neck dive. It doesn't bother me for short sessions but gets irritating the longer I play. Right now I have a counterweight attached to the strap that fixes the problem, but it makes the whole thing rather heavy.

What I'd like to try instead is replacing the tuners with a set of ultralites, which I've heard can make a big difference but never tried before.

From what I understand, the 4004s came equipped with Schaller M4 tuners; those are discontinued, so finding their specs was a bit hard, but I have found a source that says they require 7/16" peghead holes. However, the two ultralight models offered by hipshot appear to require either 9/16" or 11/16" holes.

I guess to get to the point, my question is, what ultralite model is the best fit for a 4004, and are there any options that won't require me to modify the existing tuner holes?

Bonus if the model suggested also has an equivalent bass xtender model available; I've been unable to equip my most recent 4004 with one at all since the M4 model was discontinued.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: 4004 Replacement Tuners

Post by aceonbass »

I use Hipshot Ultralights on my 4004Cii. You will have to rheem the peg holes out to a larger size though. I use the ones with a cloverleaf key, and there is a drop-d version available also from Hipshot.
pdusen

Post by pdusen »

aceonbass wrote:I use Hipshot Ultralights on my 4004Cii. You will have to rheem the peg holes out to a larger size though. I use the ones with a cloverleaf key, and there is a drop-d version available also from Hipshot.
Hipshot's website lists versions with 1/2" and 3/8" string posts; I'm assuming you have the smaller 3/8" version? Or am I missing something?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Same as Dane, here, I installed the 3/8" post Ultralites on my former '04 4004Cii, and yes, I drilled out the holes to accommodate them. One thing I had to do, though, was have Hipshot make longer bushings for me as the headstock was thicker than the stock ones would work on (they barely grabbed the threads). I don't know whether later 4004s have thinner headstocks, my others two (from '13 and '15) are not available at the moment to check.
4004CiiJPS Headstock_800_01.jpg
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

How about some pictures of your 4004's?
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

pdusen wrote:Hipshot's website lists versions with 1/2" and 3/8" string posts...
Here is a set of the 1/2" post Ultralites on my old '67 4005WB. The holes had previously been reamed out for Schaller M4S tuning keys so these were a drop in. The headstock was thinner so the stock bushing worked just fine on it.
4005WB Headstock_800_03.jpg
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

If you go the reaming route, don't try to drill them, an actual reamer will serve you best.

I got mine at Harbor Freight and still use it all the time, a steal at under $4 with tax.
https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle- ... 66936.html

Good luck,
Dirk
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Hipshot took my measurements and sent me custom bushings for free.
Also, to reduce neck heaviness:
1. Brass/chrome Hipshot Rickenbacker replacement bridge. Adds a lot of weight to body to offset neck weight.
2. Dunlop Dual Design strap looks. They are very tall and have a cantilever effect on the bass that helps tilt the bass more neck up.
3. Replace control knobs with the heavy chrome knurled cylinder knobs from stewmac.
4. Use the extra long strap by Comfort Strapp. Yes, two p’s. Very wide and comfy and sticky strap.
5. (Ymmv on this one but it worked for me) Move the strap button from crested wave to neck heel. As far out towards the neck as the heel will allow.
I did all this and cured the neck heaviness on my 4003.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”