Is it salvagable?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Justinhart14

Is it salvagable?

Post by Justinhart14 »

Hello all,

So around a year ago, I purchased a 1975 4001 (https://reverb.com/item/29631283-ricken ... -with-case) on a bargain because of it's condition. Right now, its a couch bass, but I'd love to be able to get it gig-ready. How much work would is needed to restore this bass to its former glory? I'm located in Atlanta and also will take recommendations on a quality Rickenbacker luthier.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Is it salvagable?

Post by lumgimfong »

Only with it in a luthier’s hands could they tell you the answer to that question.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

All things are possible with enough money.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Is it playable? That crack in the neck doesn't look too bad.
ram

Post by ram »

First off it is a nice bass, Congratulations! I think what needs done vs what you have done could be a big difference. If it were me - I'd have the neck crack evaluated and repaired. Probably either spot clear coat or an entire refin...???? I'd swap out the tail piece for a V2. All would definitely depend on finding a good luthier who has worked Rickenbackers before and doesn't dislike them. I think the bass is totally correctable and would be worth the effort. As to a luthier in your area I have no idea. Good luck and keep us updated of your project.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
teeder

Post by teeder »

Welcome Justin.

That doesn't look too bad from here.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Post the most relevant pics here... Reverb links to completed sales can be funky and may go away in the future. The neck/fretboard issue is the classic thing of someone not knowing how to adjust the old style rods. Should be a huge problem - fixable anyway. Other spots on the bass make me wonder what happened to it... water damage? A mighty whack? The cracking around the binding, but in the wood, near the upper strap button are the first time I've seen that.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

$2500.00 for THAT bass? Even if the neck didn't have a pretty severe crack, it's way overpriced. especially for a "couch" bass.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

You could send relevant pictures to Larry Davis, one of the best Rickenbacker luthiers and see if he can give you a ballpark estimate.
https://www.davisguitarworks.com/

There is recent thread on this Forum showcasing an extensive customization of a bass by Larry:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=417050

Keep in mind that the bass may not increase in resale value equally to the work put into it, as that bass (and I am being pragmatic, not mean) is a "run of the mill" bass of that era.

Good luck with whatever course you take. 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

A good full resto of a collectable insturment from a desirable era, that looks great, is playable, and done by someone like Larry that knows Ricks specifically, can get you close to 100% of the value of a mint untouched example in some cases.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”