Squire's other basses

The genius of Chris Squire
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: Squire's other basses

Post by cheyenne »

I did a "Chris Squire" search a few days ago and Google kicked up a bunch of new pics. This is supposed to be the 1st Mouradian made for Squire, but for whatever reason he passed on it in favor of the Green one.
Mouradian 1.jpg
"Knowledge is Power"
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I've seen pictures of that one before, Scott. Not sure what the story is, just that Chris loves green and may have passed on the color. Jim Mouradian sketched that bass on a napkin and Chris said "Build it!".

These are interesting basses and their creator is a big Yes and CS fan and friend. I spoke to him about a year ago while researching availability of these basses. I'm not certain how many of this model were produced, possibly only as many as 75, but the Reality Bass - only 15 were made and three are in the possession of noted bassists. Not sure where the other 12 are and not expecting any to surface soon which is a shame, because I think it is one of the nicest bass designs I've seen. You can see Chris in action with his Reality Mouradian on the Conspiracy DVD and on "Mind Drive" performance on the "Tsongas / 35th Anniversary DVD. Chris did not play either bass on the current tour, but probably had the green Mouradian in the stable. He used the Electra bass for "Owner" and Tempus Fugit.
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

He used the Gibson Triumph bass on "Turn Of The Century" - you can hear how he slides up to a high F# on that little short-scale neck (especially in those hands!). I suspect he may have also used it for the end of "Silently Falling" (the E minor coda where Pat Moraz plays the synth bass line and CS plays the high counter melody), based on the equally high range and the un-trebly tone....
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Someone should talk to these guys about some type of publication documenting the recording sessions, gear, anecdotes, etc... while memories are still "fresh". They have so much gear between the many members and periods of Yes music. Steve goes into some detail in his book "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" about various guitars used, etc... but there must be so much more information. Make it something like "The COMPLETE Beatles Recording Sessions", only more emphasis on guitars, rigs, FX, etc...
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

just_bassics wrote:Someone should talk to these guys about some type of publication documenting the recording sessions, gear, anecdotes, etc... while memories are still "fresh". They have so much gear between the many members and periods of Yes music. Steve goes into some detail in his book "The Steve Howe Guitar Collection" about various guitars used, etc... but there must be so much more information. Make it something like "The COMPLETE Beatles Recording Sessions", only more emphasis on guitars, rigs, FX, etc...

I'll SECOND that! :D
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

His Tobias 5.
Squire and Tobias.jpg
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What was Chris thinking by going with that hair style? :!: :shock: :!:
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Wow where do I start?... Better begin with "I love this thread!" :)

Firstly... Chris' backstage pic with all those basses - gorgeous photo, would make a great poster on my wall! Thanks to Scott "cheyenne" :wink:
So *that* is the bass Chris is playing on TotC , Glasgow '77?

Secondly, the red Tobias pic. That's from a session from which I have photos on a GW magazine , september '87. I remember I ordered a copy of that mag some years later. Back then there was no internet and I had to ask my dad to request a cheque in USD to buy the back issue. The whole process took MONTHS, but "hopefully, eventually" I got the magazine and still today it's worth to read the great interview they did with Chris, Trevor Rabin and Mike Tobias. There are wonderful passages, credits to the interviewer also. If you don't have this interview I would like to share it with you, if there are not any copyright problems or whatever on doing so (I have enough trouble dealing with Youtube's policies).

Inspired and informed by this interview, I'm beginning to develop my "theory" about what is happening on "I'm Running", let's see how I can manage my spare time on the next weeks so I can present you another clip. Meanwhile please carry on with this wonderful discussion.

greetings to you all

Miguel
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Thanks Miguel, here's a few more,
Squire and Jazz.jpg
Squire and Wakeman.jpg
"Knowledge is Power"
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Miguel, I still have my copy of that GW magazine, just before Big Generator was released. I'm looking forward to "I'm Running" (with tabs?!? :D
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

miguel-also looking forward to "i'm running". it's one of,if not THE most "proggiest" of the rabin-era tracks,and a big favorite of mine. scott-thanks for posting the pix!!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Here is an interesting tidbit just posted on the CIRCA forum.

CS plays a SPECTOR!

Billy Sherwood says "I attached a pic of the shot to be used for adverts etc... Far left is my one of a kind custom made purple 8 String Spector which Chris actually used for "Fortune Seller" on the dreaded "Open Your Eyes" record hehe..."

http://circa-kotf.ning.com/forum/topics ... basses-now
Attachments
photoofbillyn3basses.htm.jpg
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Hi all,

Well I do hope not to cause a negative controversy here, but I can't see *where* any 8-string bass was used on Fortune Seller.
The octave sound comes from an octaver effect (again - this is IMHO). What my ears tell me is that the octave effect is used with a flanger. Futhermore, and assuming that the spector bass is a regular 8-string, it wouldn't even reproduce the notes played on Fortune Seller as the main riff low octave goes to low D and the other part goes even lower to an almost subsonic low A. My ears also detect the usual (mis)tracking of the fundamental that occours when using this kind of effects.

Here's a little excerpt of a past discussion about this subject that went on alt.music.yes on January 1998.

me : "Is it a 5 string? Mind you, I just *heard* the cd and I always imagine
it's the "ugly" Electra with the Flange and Octave fx. "

Greg Young: "I think on Fortune Seller Chris plays through an octave pedal. Listen
closely, a Roland octave pedal will 'give out' if it gets more than one note
going through it, the signal can't decide which note to divide so it 'vibrates'
and you can hear Chris' bass doing that. Listen to it with headphones on."

me "Furthermore, he uses another effect which seems like a flanger to me.
That's why I thought about the Electra bass with the built-in octave and
flanger... Listen to other tunes with that bass (City of LOve, Cinema,
Leave It, Lift me UP, Tempus Fugit) and you can compare the sounds.
I also tried an Octave with Flanger using my 4001CS and the sound is
really close... so it may be the old Rick... remenber Chris also uses a
Flanger with the Rick on OYE (track) ... the little riff just before
steve's solo...
Wonderlove also has flanging on the bass, btw. Chris must have liked a
lot to use the effect... it gives sometimes that oriental feeling like
steve's Coral sitar..."

So, I still mantain my idea... maybe it was used on some overdub, or it was indeed tried out and didn't make it to the final mix...
But, again, and sorry if I'm being picky, I would swear it's the Ricky on octave, flanger with a big deal of compression to start with, being the Elektra with built-in FX as a second guess. If I'm wrong... well I'm wrong :) Nevertheless and most of all - great bassline!

so there... peace and greetings to all of you

Miguel
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I'd like to own that 8. Sharp bass.
"Knowledge is Power"
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

I'm with you, Miguel - I went back to listen to it, and it doesn't sound like an 8-string to me either. The only thing I could imagine while I was listening was an 8-string tuned BEAD, but that still doesn't explain the timbre. When he goes up from B to D, it clearly sounds like an open D string, which it wouldn't be even if it were a BEAD-tuned 8-string. I agree, some sort of 4-string with an octave divider, maybe the Electra or even something weirder (for CS at least). It sounds pretty "modern," so one of his Mouradians might even be involved - or maybe even a 4-string Spector! Just taking a few wild guesses.... :o

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”