Time moves on

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Re: Time moves on

Post by admin »

I am betting that this photo was taken from a video. It would be nice to see his eyes.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

It’s Noel Scott Engel (aka Scott Walker) who together with John Maus and Gary Leeds where collectively known as the Walker Brothers.
einar wrote:D'Abo had a more interesting voice than Paul Jones whom he replaced in Manfred Mann (IMO) and he did write a lot of memorable songs, for MM as well as for others. I'm glad he looks his age. I don't fancy the "forever young" culture that rides certain elements of the show biz circuit.
That print screen image I captured of Mike d’Abo was taken from a BBC interview that he gave in December 2009 about one song in particular he wrote that has stood the test of time – “Handbags and Gladrags” - the interview can be seen on YouTube at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebkyfKhEgZk
hamilton_square

Now here’s a bit of a poser for you. What connects this clip of Manfred Mann (with Mike d’Abo on vocals) performing “Mighty Quinn” a 1968 UK Number 1 for the group ….

…. with this “as I look now near 45 years later” person
GGG.JPG
And, the clue is ... I'm GERMAN
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

The REVOLVER man!
hamilton_square

The Revolver Man: KLAUS VOORMAN … born 28 April 1938 in Berlin, Germany

Between 1966 and 1969, Klaus Voorman was the bass player with Manfred Mann (he’s the one playing the penny whistle in the “Mighty Quinn” clip). And, as einar correctly says, he also illustrated the Beatles “Revolver” album cover prior to joining Manfred Mann.

However, he has another claim to fame, being that allegedly, one day in October 1960, following an argument with his then on-off girlfriend Astrid Kirchherr, Klaus Voormann was wandering down the Reeperbahn, in Hamburg’s St. Pauli district, when he heard the sound of music coming from a club called the Kaiserkeller. Out of curiosity, he decided to take a closer look at what was going on. The group playing at the time was Rory Storm and the Hurricanes … and you guessed it, the next group to play were the Beatles.

According to the way Klaus Voormann tells it, he had never really heard music like this before having previously only listened to jazz. Klaus Voormann was to persuade his friend Jurgen Vollmer, together with Astrid Kitchherr, to return with him to the Kaiserkeller Club to watch further performances given by the Beatles – and the world knows the rest of the story.

See this recent You Tube clip of British journalist Paul Morley talking with Klaus Voorman about (amongst other things) how he learned to play Stuart Sutcliffe’s bass guitar at …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYl_Qs4wzQ
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Ok I'll take a stab at this.. hopefully not too easy...

Who is this?
whoami.jpg
Both pics are of the same gentlemen... was part of a successful UK Band..
whoami2.jpg
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

what era
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

royclough wrote:what era
Sorry.. I'm still learning how to do this game properly... :D He was in the band from the late sixites to 1990
hamilton_square

bartyclue you let me off the hook. I would never have guessed who it was from just the photo of him holding the dog. But, I know who it is from the other photo of him playing the guitar – which I suspect is a somewhat earlier image of him taken while he was still playing with the group and before his hair turned white.

Think of a Braveheart bunch of heavy rockers. Though, personally speaking, at the time I was more into the theatrical antics of that other group from Scotland, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band than was into Nazareth.

It’s MANNY CHARLTON - lead guitarist and 1968 founding member of Nazareth
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

hamilton_square wrote:bartyclue you let me off the hook. I would never have guessed who it was from just the photo of him holding the dog. But, I know who it is from the other photo of him playing the guitar – which I suspect is a somewhat earlier image of him taken while he was still playing with the group and before his hair turned white.

Think of a Braveheart bunch of heavy rockers. Though, personally speaking, at the time I was more into the theatrical antics of that other group from Scotland, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band than was into Nazareth.

It’s MANNY CHARLTON - lead guitarist and 1968 founding member of Nazareth
You are of course correct. I probably should have gone with just the dog picture...

Manny Charlton
Manuel Charlton (born 25 July 1941) is notable for being a founding member of and the lead guitarist for the Scottish hard rock band, Nazareth from 1968 to 1990.
manny.png
I really liked Nazereth back in the day. Their two biggest hits... at least here in Canada were covers!! "Love Hurts" by the Everly Brothers and "This flight tonight" by Joni Mitchell.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Well done would never have got that
hamilton_square

Here’s a quickie for you:

An ‘as-I-am-now’ photograph lifted from this mystery person’s website - who is he?
XXX.JPG
Clues:
1: American
2: 1960s solo recording artist
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Take a stab at Bobby Rydell
hamilton_square

royclough wrote:Take a stab at Bobby Rydell
No, I'm afraid your stab missed the mark Roy.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Did he sing about a certain Sheila

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”