Gerry Goffin RIP

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
hamilton_square

Gerry Goffin RIP

Post by hamilton_square »

Click HERE to read Gerry Goffin’s obituary

I rated Gerry Goffin as one of the greatest American lyricists of the 3-minute pop song. While never a musician or blessed with the ability to carry a tune, his talent as a wordsmith was both prolific and god given.

Coming to prominence in the early 60s as one half of the husband and wife song-writing team (Gerry) Goffin & (Carole) King. He was responsible for putting the words to such hits as …

Take Good Care of My Baby … One Fine Day… It Might as Well Rain Until September … Will You Love Me Tomorrow … (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman … Up on the Roof … The Loco-Motion … I’m Into Something Good … Goin’ Back … Chains

Following the 1968 breakup of the Goffin King marriage, Gerry Goffin teamed up with Michael Masser in the 70s to pen hits for amongst others, Diana Ross and Whitney Houston. Sad to say, he never allegedly had a high opinion of his own abilities, more then once expressing the ephemeral and throwaway nature of pop music. I think there were times when Gerry Goffin might have well had a point if this 1961 recording he co-wrote with Barry Mann is anything to go by. While admittedly poking fun at vocal harmony doo-wop groups of the era - not one that sticks in the memory half-a-century later …

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”